• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1840 Case Leaking Control Spool on Tandem Pump

DJH72

Control spool on the tandem pump is starting to leak oil pretty bad. I replaced the o-ring but it didn't make any difference, oil still comes out from around the control arm and runs down the case of the pump. I found a replacement spool online, but it is for a 1845 case.

http://www.loaderpartssource.com/case-1845c-skid-steer-drive-pump-control-spool.html

The picture looks like mine, but I am not sure if it is the exact replacement. Also, should I just replace the shaft part itself, or should I also replace the bushing that it fits into ( if that is possible)? Its seems parts like these are hard to find.

Thanks, Doug

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
You should probably replace the sleeve that the spool sits in. They made an updated sleeve. The old sleeves are black, and the new ones are gold. case part number: 110671A1

The issue with the old sleeves was the o-ring would wear into the pump housing, causing leaks. Hopefully this hasn't happened. Removed the sleeve and inspect. Maybe just the O-rings are bad.

1840c pump.jpg

Last edited:

DJH72

You should probably replace the sleeve that the spool sits in. They made an updated sleeve. The old sleeves are black, and the new ones are gold. case part number: 110671A1

The issue with the old sleeves was the o-ring would wear into the pump housing, causing leaks. Hopefully this hasn't happened. Removed the sleeve and inspect. Maybe just the O-rings are bad.

View attachment 152416

Thank you Gary. Im looking at the diagram and it looks like the sleeve should just pull straight out?

Doug

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Yes, the sleeves will pull out. You may need a pick to pull it out. I just ground down a cheap pick, and hook it in the hole of the sleeve. Also when you pull out the spool, make sure you put it back in the same way.

Last edited:

bartelbe

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Technician
Will add that if the sleave orings wore into the housing you can take the sleave to a machine shop and have a 2nd groove cut into the sleave for a 2nd oring. I have a couple precut ones sitting on the self i will take a pic and post if interested. Any time we fix the same leak you have we just automatically install the double cut sleave since 9 times out of 10 a new oring hasnt been a lasting fix and the leak returns later on.

trevalyn

bartelbe could I please have a picture of sleeve with new o ring groove. thank you . trevalyn , australia