• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

17’F2504x4 6.7diesel

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
We’ve had some trouble lately with it shutting off while throttling up under a load (towing). Right at 170K on it. It did it to me about a month ago without any warning. Towing a skid steer machine and trailer combined about 18/19K. Pills with ease but accelerating going up an incline just shut completely off and said something like truck reducing speed but it just shut off. Pulled over put it in park started up took off as if nothing happened. Few miles. Same thing. Not water in fuel any warnings etc. I took it easier and made it to the job. We changed the oil and all the filters. It did it again. Haven’t had the issue for about a month now and this past Monday im transporting a smaller skid steer on a lighter trailer. Maybe 12k max combined. Same scenario. I stopped opened lower filter water drain. All clean. Put in a can of Kleen fuel or something took off. Same thing. I decided to leave the skid steer and trailer up in Tn. I didn’t want to be busting through Birmingham on I 65
ajd have it shut off. Scary thought fosho. No brakes or steering fug that. Could be extremely dangerous. So as of now it’s useless as a tow vehicle. Has anyone experienced this
with their 6.7 diesel. I have an 11
6.7 with 320k on it. Never had that or any issue for that matter. Of course it was deleted at 170k. Still
runs as if new really.
Edit Quote

ianjoub

I have no experience working on them, but:

Does it shut off electrically or mechanically? I know there is no 'ignition' but I would think there might be a clue there somewhere.

Did you plug in a diagnostic computer? It may have a freeze frame of the shutoffs.

Sorry I can't be more help.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Electronically I reckon. No scanner or anything been hooked up yet. I’m hoping it will show something when we do. Gotta go to ford for that. Was hoping someone had heard of this issue

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We have 3 - 6.7's at the moment and none of them have done that but one only has 246 miles on it.:D

Seriously the oldest 6.7 a '13 with 170K on the clock has never done it (knocks on wood). The '18 6.7 with 70K hasn't either. The third one is new and doesn't matter.

What does it do? Just shut completely down while going down the road with no gauges, radio, fan? Or does it shut off and keeps the acc switch on?

Have you checked the batteries and terminals? Ford used really crappy terminals on our '18 that actually split on the bottom causing the normal electrical issues of a broken contact. Caused issues starting and low voltage warning.

I decided to leave the skid steer and trailer up in Tn. I didn’t want to be busting through Birmingham on I 65
ajd have it shut off. Scary thought fosho. No brakes or steering fug that. Could be extremely dangerous.

That's an understatement..:p

It's scary enough going north or south on 65 through the 'Ham in a functioning vehicle.:oops:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The first thing that comes to mind is cam position sensor. Aside from that , my next thought is a module that goes by a couple different names . Fuel injection control module (FICM) or Injection drive module (IDM) Whatever you call it, it is the doo-dad that fires the injectors. The thing is with either of them, is exactly what you're going through. Works great till it craps the bed. No warning, no errors no nothing. The dealer software can run a "BUZZ test" they can also run a "wiggle " test. One is checking high and low duty cycle , that's the one I'd be most concerned with. I don't know if its been integrated with the ECU or not. Just something to think about.