• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

16" Water main

danhoe

82 years of business nobody killed, no lost limbs and the underground business has changed so much I think that is a good track record. I am glad to see you concerned about the trench. Some of my friends have been killed in the hole over saving a slab of sidewalk or to lazy to put a box in the hole. Some of my best footage days have been pulling a box to save the overdig. Just tired of OSHA. Turbo took his daughter by the job site to snap a few pictures with her in the bucket of the min exc. the saftey was brought up. I think safety is on everyone's mind on this site. Dan

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Some of my best footage days have been pulling a box to save the overdig. Just tired of OSHA.

That is why I don't understand why some foreman's don't like to put in the trench box. It sometimes seems that it was easier to dig and backfill, not the overdig like you said.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I woud post pictures of my work but all the comments about saftey are un called for.

I don't know that I can agree with that. If something provides a jumping off point for a good discussion, I think we all benefit. Of course, we all have to work at being non-judgemental, and keeping our criticism constructive.

I think safety is on everyone's mind on this site.

I agree. I think our "corporate culture" if you will, here at HEF is one of safety.

That having been said, it's easy for us cause this site exists to spread information around, and we don't need to worry about how many feet of pipe we have in the ground at the end of the day. Real world pressures are a horse of a different color, and what we discuss here as ideal....well honestly, in the field any of us might find it expedient to make some compromises.

Is there a compenant trained trench person on the job ? that is his call and the companies call, and most important nobody made them guys go in the hole.

Now there's something that's recently been touched upon in Stock's thread about OSHA. Is there pressure on any given job to work in violation of the lawful standard? It would probably make a good topic of its own.

For what it's worth, when I took the competent person class, my take on it was that, rather than being a class on how to be safe, it was pretty much a class in all the ways your site is out of compliance now, and never really will be fully in compliance. My take is that certainly, if your site is fully in compliance, it will be a safe site, but that's not due to the fact that any violation makes a site unsafe.

This is the same here, but if your read OSHA regulations, if the trench has any water in it, it becomes a class C ditch, even if it is in solid rock. Class C ditch requires a trench box.

Good example, no?

In an ideal world, we wouldn't even need an OSHA, because every employer would do the maximum possible to prevent workplace injuries. In a world where the workers are more expendable than the shovels they carry, we'd have lots of funerals. (And if you think about it, that world existed in our not so distant past.) Somewhere between those two worlds there exists a compromise where the risks are managed, and everybody goes home safe at the end of the day, while the company still turns a profit.

Where that compromise lies is the place that engenders discussions like this one.

There's the old expression about, "you talk the talk, but do you walk the walk?", meaning do you actually practice something, or just pay it lipservice? Certainly, to practice safe working habits is best, but if you discount their necessity even in casual internet conversation, you're not very likely to put them into practice out in the field. If our promotion of safety here makes a difference in the attitude that somebody takes to work with them, and perhaps prevents an injury or fatality, it'll have been well worth it.

.... as I don't think this is the track John1066 wanted the thread he started to go.

Yeah, probably not. ;)

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Well said digger,I for one don't think there was any attitude or malice used or intended and in all fairness no one wants or needs to be walking around on egg shells here for fear of upsetting someone else ,there is enough other sub standard people bashing forums on the world wide web for that crap. The reason I enjoy this forum is the friendly banter,the constructive exchange of views,the ethos of answering any question posted and not making little of the poster.
When we post a picture after a hour or so it becomes the property of the forum the same with posts,yes we all have posted things and had them queried,which is only right and proper,yes yours truly has opened his mouth and landed both feet in it resulting with nothing to stand on and then when all the facts have come apparent wished I could retract what I said.
To be right and truthful I think that it is healthy that people query the safety of sites and as we are here to exchange views to question other people methods,you never know someone's system may be different but be faster and easier to implement.
It is a great way to learn and as there is such a wealth of knowledge here it is a shame not to share it.|To para phrase words of Stephen Covey to know some subject well you must first be able to teach it.I my self have learned a lot here and have taken my time ,some times I will read a post and leave it as I feel I have nothing to contribute,other times I read and go away think about it may research a little then post.
I don't claim to know everything but this site shows me how little I actually do know,
SO I AM HERE TO LEARN

When the student is ready the masters will appear, so masters help me fill this empty vessel....

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I think safety is on everyone's mind on this site. Dan

This my good man is the way our business has been driven by our respective safety authorities rightly so,I am of an age that remembers to days where we were used an abused ,then thrown a side with out any thought.Safety is a major part of our industry,with your quote proving that the training is working.

john1066

Well if you look in all of the other pictures the box was in the hole in that one spot it was back a little bit behind a drain line and we were pushing down an existing water service to get the pipe over it instead of cutting it to get the box through

plummen

i dont normally use shoring either but i never send anybody else in a hole even with shoring things can happen without common sense.first thing i learned as a sewer layer was to toss your wallet out before going in the hole(that way they dont have to dig you out at the end of the day to buy beer for the crew! :drinkup)

john1066

here are pics of grading the trench for patching

Attachments

• P9060150.jpg
    P9060150.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,127
  • P9060152.jpg
    P9060152.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,124
  • P9070154.jpg
    P9070154.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,107
  • P9070155.jpg
    P9070155.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,113

Aliate

What do they pay per foot for something like that? I bury cable at the moment, not direct burial, but I usually bury 4" pvc and it pays about 32$ a foot in the street, but Im looking to get into burying water mains, how does it pay? At the moment I dont own an excavator so this is still a ways off.

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
digging around situ pipework with a toothed bucket surely he should have a 'gummy' on there safest option

john1066

we use toothed buckets because there is so much rock and hard pan up here you wouldn't get anywhere with a straight edge bucket

Blacksmoke07

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
You guys got the 476 Northeast extension job in PA right?