• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

16 tire brake adjustment

crankybait

Occupation
transport
Hi I was woundering if a 2007 Murray trailer has automatic slack adjusters or do u adjust the brakes yourself if they are self adjusting do u need a special tool to back them off a half turn . What I am trying to get at is when u adjust a brack and u are backing it off there is a ratchet sound are u stripping it out when u do that or do u need a tool to get the ratchet to realise.

02Dmax

The ratcheting sound is normal while backing them off. I assume its the type of slack adjuster that takes a 7/16 socket to adjust it. There are other styles of automatic slacks and some require special tools.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

02Dmax

I should add that most stuff thst new has automatic adjusters but they still need to be checked often and not taken for granted. I've gone on countless calls to scalehouses to adjust brakes that never got checked because they have autos.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Some of the autos don't like it real well to be backed off. You really are stripping something and while it is officially OK to do, I try to avoid it unless it is necessary. And you all know that they frequently fail anyway, not sure if this is from backing off or just poor or complicated design.

wheelman007

Best way to check adjustment is measure the travel. Release the brakes mark it at the brake pot have someone hold the peddle down and depending on the brake pot size no more the a 1-1/2 or 2 inches. Most of the time no adjustment is need.

DeanM

Some autos have a release button on them. If they are not adjusted properly they can be damaged. I would suggest going to the manufacturers web site for adjustment procedures.

crankybait

Occupation
transport
Well thanks for the replies I did find out that the ratchet sound is not hurting anything eternally see the gears are spring loaded so when u back them off its spinging around the gears and is acutely letting u know your brake springs are in good shape. I haul equipment so I am always checking them like someone said u can never take anything for granted like automatic slack adjusters and if I heard wrong please let me know

Chaz Murray

It should have the Haldex auto slacks on that trailer. The Haldex Auto slacks seem to be the most trouble free but they are not immune to issues. If the adjuster tab is in the wrong position they have a tendency to over adjust. How I use to set them up was tighten them down then back them off a 1/4-1/2 turn and set the adjuster so the arrow is lined up with the mark on the slack adjuster. After a few applications of the service brake they should self adjust properly.

crankybait

Occupation
transport
solved the issue

It should have the Haldex auto slacks on that trailer. The Haldex Auto slacks seem to be the most trouble free but they are not immune to issues. If the adjuster tab is in the wrong position they have a tendency to over adjust. How I use to set them up was tighten them down then back them off a 1/4-1/2 turn and set the adjuster so the arrow is lined up with the mark on the slack adjuster. After a few applications of the service brake they should self adjust properly.

Thank you the input we found out that the drum was out of spec. So after it camed over we replaced the slack adjuster the drum , s cam , and pads now it works like a charm my biggest concern on those type of slack adjusters is when you tighten them down and back it off the ratchet sound does it hurt the gears backin it off I know if they are working properly u shouldn't have to touch them but with D8s and 330s over the back the trailer is bound to have a few problem s in the 18yrs of useing Murray trailers u cant find a better set up for what we do.

ValleyFirewood

How do you come up with 16 tires?

From what I can tell the trailer just has 2 axles, so 8 tires on the trailer, 18 tires total?

I used a quad axle trailer (16 tires) once when I was in Korea. Was an odd setup. It was a flatbed but the deck was only about 35ft. I'm not sure the reason it was built like that, maybe something to do with Korean DOT laws for heavy loads.

Last edited:

ValleyFirewood

That makes a bit more sense! I was trying to figure how those loads weren't WAY overweight on the tires.

Can't say I've ever seen a trailer like that before.

crankybait

Occupation
transport
16 tire Murray

That makes a bit more sense! I was trying to figure how those loads weren't WAY overweight on the tires.

Can't say I've ever seen a trailer like that before.

Yea its a 16 tire when its not expanded u get legal loads with legal weight unless permitted otherwise and when the back end expanded to 10 ft wide your aloud 60 thousand on the back so overall we max out weight wise on the trailer about 80 thousand were in arizona and of course each state is different

JDOFMEMI

Yea its a 16 tire when its not expanded u get legal loads with legal weight unless permitted otherwise and when the back end expanded to 10 ft wide your aloud 60 thousand on the back so overall we max out weight wise on the trailer about 80 thousand were in arizona and of course each state is different

Like you said, it depends on the state. Here in CA, we can get 54K without being expanded to 10' wide, and 60K expanded. With the Murray being as light as it is, I can legal 90K payload on mine, which gets my D-8T with about 200 pounds to spare.