1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

$1500 JCB Backhoe

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Ken Dieckmann, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Ken Dieckmann

Ken Dieckmann Member

I have a chance to get a JCB Backhoe CHEAP! According to the owner, it starts and runs and all hydraulics work. It just doesn't move forward or back. I have read many reasons why this happens, but here is the issue. While I am very good at mechanics, I know nothing about these machines. Should I get this thing and learn on the job? I mean, the price seems right.
    Ken
    JCB.jpg

2. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

It doesn't want to move because the loader bucket is stuck in the next county. I don't think I'd want it if was given to me. Even as a parts machine I don't think there's too many of them around.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

I wouldn't be afraid of it. Do you speak British? you say you're a good mechanic, you'll figure it out.

What's the plan? fix it up and sell it? forget it. (on second thought, if it's easy to fix, pressure wash it and sell it, if not, part it out)
    Spend a huge amount of time with your kid working on the thing, to teach him something and have the satisfaction of seeing it run in nice shape? Looks like a good prospect for that.

Want to get it working and make money with it? build a house this summer? over the next ten years?

4. Ken Dieckmann

Ken Dieckmann Member

I wanted to get it working properly and use it over the summer for some projects. Then sell it.
    I'm going to view it on Saturday to see if everything else works like the owner said.

5. LN Pipeline

LN Pipeline Well-Known Member

JCB parts are expensive, and resale is poor.

I would only take that machine if it was given to me. Then you could take it apart and see what it would cost to fix. You could try to part it out, but as stated above, you probably wouldn’t sell any parts.

If you fixed it up and sold it, you would have way more money into it than you could ever sell it for.

I’m a JCB owner. If it were given to me, I’d haul it straight to the scrap yard.

Tinkerer likes this.
  6. fpgm04

fpgm04 Well-Known Member

Good JCB donor part machines in North America are unicorns.

Where is your closet JCB dealer? I would suggest you contact them with that machine’s model/serial number and see if parts are available anymore.

As you mention future resale, consider the following. This machine looks like a sideshift backhoe (need a rear picture to confirm) which are very uncommon in North America, but typical for Europe. Keep in mind many people in North America will not want a sideshift backhoe due to the added hoe weight and being less stable due to close distance stabilizers. Additionally this machine appears to have an inner sliding dipper which many people will not like as you are putting the lower greased section in the dirt all of the time.

Check scrap metal prices in your area and your cost to move the machine. Assuming there is ~6 or 7 tons of scrap metal there, you can do the math as a backup plan.

One other observation, why is the tractor a different shade of yellow than the backhoe?

7. Ken Dieckmann

Ken Dieckmann Member

All good questions and concerns. I'm now leaning towards passing on this deal.

TVA likes this.
  8. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Personally - I would stay away out of anything JCB!

9. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Take photos to scrap yard and see what they will give you for it:D

10. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

It a JCB C3.
    Maybe you could buy this one for parts. :eek: jcb.png

11. TVA

TVA Senior Member

IDK about these older machines, but the biggest problem with JCB is parts availability and dealer prices!
    Dealer prices are just NUTS:eek::mad:!!!
    There’s possible to get some parts on eBay, or read the component name tag, find out who manufacturer is and buy it from their distributors.

12. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

There was a lengthy thread not long ago about JCB and looking up parts online.
    It is virtually impossible unless you are dealer.

Ken Dieckmann likes this.
  13. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

Tinkerer and Ken Dieckmann like this.
  14. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Buy a pair of track (running) shoes so you can run faster to get awaaaaay from that wreck !!!!!!!!!

geminijo likes this.
  15. Cbait580b

Cbait580b Well-Known Member

With my learning experience with resurrecting a Case 580B..I'd keep looking. I gave $1200 for my tractor and have spent more than that in repairs so far. I figure another $300 to$500 before it pulls itself out of the garage under it own power.