• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140m e560 trouble code

Zayne

Anyone having the same issue with the 140m The second I turn it on I get that code E560 Secondary steer not responding to commands

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here you go.........E560(3) Event. Secondary steering test results in insufficient pump pressure.
Possible Causes:
· Electrical problem in the secondary steering pump motor circuit.
· Mechanical problem with the secondary steering pump.

First check for an Active MID027-CID420-FMI03 diagnostic code. If it is I can give you the Diagnostic Procedure for it.
If the Code above is not Active, refer to the attached Systems Operation document (Page 6 onwards) and use "good diagnostic procedures" to troubleshoot a mechanical fault in the secondary sterring hydraulics.

***FWIW I've seen loads of problems with secondary steering pumps burning out and also (IIRC) problems with power relays for them, although that 2nd one is a bit hazy. The usual reason that the pump burns out is that it's running all the time because of an electrical/electronic fault that is basically telling it to run all the time.

Attachments

• RENR9004 SysOp.pdf
    818.6 KB · Views: 62

Zayne

We Had a lot of rain. 2 years ago an we drove in 4 ft of water , after that we started having this issue

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
The last one I worked on had the secondary steering motor around the hitch and you had to get to it from the bottom. It's basically a starter motor turning a small hyd pump. The relay is right down there too. Usually the steering control valve/module(little black box on the steering valve) would go haywire and then then the aux steering motor runs until it burns up.

Nige

The last one I worked on had the secondary steering motor around the hitch and you had to get to it from the bottom. It's basically a starter motor turning a small hyd pump. The relay is right down there too. Usually the steering control valve/module(little black box on the steering valve) would go haywire and then then the aux steering motor runs until it burns up.
That's why my ears pricked up when the OP said the machine had been run through 4ft of water..........

We had a lot of trouble with the actuator on the steering control valve too. Cat updated it and changed the Part Number. The latest Part Number is 394-8186 and in the case of the 140M it was only fitted at the factory from machine B9D4249 onwards, so this machine would not have the updated valve unless it has been changed before.

Last edited:

Zayne

Tomorrow I get to work on the 140 m I’ll use the information you provided I hope I’ll be able to figure something out , thanks again

Zayne

I checked the voltages on my relay And on the secondary steer arc suppressor so I checked the voltage at the secondary steer motor relay and when I’m sitting in the cab and I turn on the secondary steer test which I’ll get voltage to my orange line for about two seconds and then it cuts off to the secondary steering motor relay

Nige

See the attachment. The section regarding the secondary steering start on Page 6.
Hopefully it will help you understand a little better how the system works.
Do you get the E650 immediately when you turn the key ON or does it only come after the engine starts.?

Attachments

• RENR9004 SysOp.pdf
    674 KB · Views: 36

Rob Corden

Hi, new to the forum, just checking to see if you ever figured out your E560 code issue?

We are having the same problem up here with our 2013 M140.
Thanks
Rob

Nige

Please post a machine Serial Number and go through the testing as suggested in the posts above (read through the attachments carefully) would be my suggestion.

It's not unusual here for people to come asking for help then never come back and state what the problem was.