• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140G front wheel leak

Spyros33

Occupation
Mechanical engineer, machine operator
A friend of mine recently bought a 140G AWD
Serial number 72V14969.
It has a leak on the front right wheel. I removed the full plug and it was way over filled. I removed the excessive oil, checked again after a week and it was full again.
My guess is that the hydraulic motor has a Bad seal and hydraulic oil leaks into the reduction gears.
Anyone has some schematics from the front hydraulic motor/ gears so i can get some idea before starting to Tear it down?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Spyros you could be in for big problems identifying & locating parts.
The AWD version of the 140G is/was a Custom Shop attachment built on the same 72V Serial Number prefix machine as the rear-wheel drive only 140G.
Take a look at all the 3Z & 1Q numbers on Pages 3/4 in the attached Bill of materials for 72V14969. The fact that none of them are hyperlinked means there is no information in SIS regarding a parts breakdown for any of them. Almost all of them relate to the AWD attachmentfrom what I can see.
There is a Custom Shop Parts Manual SEBF0600 for those attachments. It can be purchased online from Cat Publications as a pdf download, CD, or paper.

upload_2021-9-18_17-48-24.png

Attachments

• 72V14969 BOM.pdf
    383.1 KB · Views: 3

Spyros33

Occupation
Thanks Nige!
Turned out that there are no reduction gears. It is a piston type hydraulic motor so from what i see it is supposed to be full of oil. There are three hydraulic lines going inside the wheel hub, i removed them, two are operating the pistons and the third one flows freely inside the motor housing, so i guess it is return line for the exceeding oil
When i removed the motor shell IMG_20210922_195549.jpg the oring was broken so i guess it Just needs a new o-ring and it is good to go
IMG_20210922_195556.jpg IMG_20210922_193922.jpg IMG_20210922_194300.jpg

Reactions: DB2

Spyros33

Occupation
Nige you were right as allways. Cat dealer can't even find the front hydraulic transmission system.
The hydraulic motors are poclain, so no cat part numbers there. Guess i will have to find that o ring on the market.
A friend Who is a mechanic told me that if the hydraulic motor is damaged, there is too much oil flowing on the return line, so it blows the o ring or the seal.
Will have to install the new o ring and remove the return lines from the two sides to compare the flow.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That’s what I was trying to tell you. Your friend needs to get a copy of that Parts Manual I posted a reference to above sooner rather than later. It’s the only source that I know of finding parts information for the AWD system.