• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140 H Troubles

20/80

Occupation
operator
Hello everyone, Well the trouble is not with our 140m this time its with my baby the 140H, I do not operate my baby in the winter I move to the 140m for winter works, anyway the operator is saying when our 140H is going up a hill the RPM stays at around 1800 but the machine slows to a crawl, also the operator is complaining that there is a howling sound that is quit loud and to the point he needs to put in ear plugs in when driving along on the road in 8th gear, we pulled the tranny filter and also the screen in the lower tranny, there was some very little specs of looks like brass but nothing that stood out in the lower screen, changed the oil to see if that makes a difference, any idea's? thanks

Fred

G'Day,
We have had a problem like this before, it was a blown / rubbed through aftercooler hose.
It rubbed through on the underneith of the bonnet on the RHR side of engine cover, it sounded like a seizing alternator or something, but would only do it under load, hence boost was up.
I was able to stand on tandem while operator drove machine in first at about 1/2 revs & then he put his foot on brake to load up machine, pin pointed noise & was able to stick finger over hole & make it paly a tune, :), fixed it for about 20 bucks.
Give it a go..

Cheers

Reactions: DB2

20/80

Occupation
operator
G'Day,
We have had a problem like this before, it was a blown / rubbed through aftercooler hose.
It rubbed through on the underneith of the bonnet on the RHR side of engine cover, it sounded like a seizing alternator or something, but would only do it under load, hence boost was up.
I was able to stand on tandem while operator drove machine in first at about 1/2 revs & then he put his foot on brake to load up machine, pin pointed noise & was able to stick finger over hole & make it paly a tune, :), fixed it for about 20 bucks.
Give it a go..

Cheers
Thank you, I will check that out, did your machine smoke a lot more with this hole in the aftercooler hose?

Fred

20/80,
not a lot more smoke, but it was full summer in Aus, so very dusty, but the noise & lack of power is what we noticed the most

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
engine Serial# 3PD11710,
transmission serial EDB02832#
machine serial ID# CAT0140HJAPM02007 use the last 8 characters as serial number
i.e. APM02007
ARE any CODES shown???
if your losing ground speed with constant engine RPM you have slippage some where. It could be in the clutch's but they don't tend to make the noise your describing
it is possible you have stripped splines on axle or drive shaft
Are you able to put machine on stands and run through all gear ranges and try and pin point where the noise is coming from
try and load up each gear range with brakes while on the stands and see if you can notice change in wheel speed
if you cant determine issue from these simple tests you will need to check pressures and or calibrations
Mark

20/80

Occupation
operator
Thank you Mark, I will pass your info on to our mobile, I will let you know the out come, thanks again.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Here's a update on our 140h, the machine is slipping in 7-8 gear the department has decided to let it continue till something blows to pieces, what a well thought out and good decision don't you think.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Considering it could be as simple as a sticking solenoid valve but will surely end in internal clutch damage I think that’s a poor decision at best.

20/80

Occupation
operator
YEP.. this is what you got to deal with, can't believe our mobile is letting this go like that, he says the clutch is going, going to let it fail before fixing because we need the machine, as long as 1 through 6 is working he's leaving it alone.

Jonas302

A few minutes time and suitcase of cash to put clutches in an H ours was plugging the filter with friction material and had that distinctive burning smell diff was redone also and shared oil case cleaned spotless

Attachments

• IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: DB2

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Excuse my ignorance.

Doesn't it use the same clutch pack to get 7th and 8th?

Clutch pack = 1, 2
Clutch pack = 3, 4
Clutch pack = 5, 6
Clutch pack = 7, 8

20/80

Occupation
operator
There is no burning smell or friction material in the screen or filter but when in 7 or 8 like say climbing a hill the machine slows down to almost a crawl but the rpm stays at 2200, when working right the rpm should fall to like 1500 then down shift rpm rises and the speed increases back to 2200 then shift back to 8, there is also a like whining noise that is quit deafening, this is how the operator has explained it to me, trans pressures are within spec according to our mobile.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Excuse my ignorance.
Doesn't it use the same clutch pack to get 7th and 8th?

Clutch pack = 1, 2
Clutch pack = 3, 4
Clutch pack = 5, 6
Clutch pack = 7, 8
It's a countershaft transmission and requires 3 clutches (1 direction, 1 speed, & 1 range) to be engaged in order to get any gear. That didn't click with me when I first suggested locking the shift quadrant out in post #13 above. If you look at the chart Mark250 posted, there is no common single clutch that affects both 7th & 8th speed forward that isn't used in another gear as well, which is why he asked "The question is why only 7th & 8th.?"

High Range clutch is used for all speeds 5 through 8.
Forward high clutch is used for 1, 4, 5, 7, & 8.