• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

140 H Series 2 cat grader

Ocka

I Have 2003 140 H 2 and it has a problem with the throttle lock indicator lamp not iliminateing on the console when the throttle lock is switched on which puts up a check engine light indicator.The throttle lock works as it should on the grader but the check engine lamp is annoying,have visually checked as much as possible EG globe but the reason must be a bit deeper maybe electrical . Thx Ocka

Ocka

Thanks for getting back I got the required info for you but there was a few numbers rolling around if your not happy i can recheck serial number is, CCA 01567.
the service codes are,
030 081902,
030 024802.
036 000211
036 000311
036 000411
036 029105
036 054805
036 001104
036 024105
Some of these codes might be from some previous work being done doing trouble shooting on the cooling system as the temp gauge was reading high but not sure.
Really do appreciate your help and time as living in a isolated part of Australia makes it hard to trouble shoot with someone that has a computer and etc.
Let me know if i can do anything to help you,
Once again Thanks Ocka

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I need you to check something in that long list of Codes you posted above.
When you scroll through the list which ones have the SERV CODE icon lit up..? (It won't be all of them)
Only the Codes where the SERV CODE icon is lit up are of interest to us right now.

It might pay you to have a look at this thread, especially Page 3 that shows you how to erase Codes using nothing more than a couple of pieces of bent wire. Start at post #50 about halfway down the page, but it might pay you to read the whole thread. https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/page-3

Ocka

Ok Thanks Nige I'll check for any highlighted codes i'm guessing I would need to have engine running with throttle lock engaged for this to be effective.Also i'll swap globes and see what happens ,i'll look into clearing the codes as well.
Appreciate your help.
Ocka.

Ocka

Hi Nige swapped out the globes but wasn't that lucky ,Ran the machine with throttle lock on and couldn't get any of the codes to high light the just scrolled all the same brightness. i guess i need to maybe check the wires for breaks but noticed a symbol on the red wire diagrame that looked like a small line with a small circle at each end o-o where another wire joined on or there was one taking off not sure what this means i take it is the positive wire red and i take it the orange wire is the negetive for the globe indicator the both seem to run from the ECM could test the wires for breaks if unplug the ecm and make these two wires a closed circut in there own right and check for open line or closed ciruit I'm sure it is not supposed to be that easy.Once again Thanks for help.

Nige

i guess i need to maybe check the wires for breaks but noticed a symbol on the red wire diagrame that looked like a small line with a small circle at each end o-o where another wire joined on or there was one taking off not sure what this means
You mean like the ones circled below.? That is known as an "internal harness splice" where one wire becomes two or three, to supply more than one component from the same source or to group ground connections together. Look at all the 200 Black (Ground) wires that are spliced together inside the harness.
upload_2020-6-8_13-35-41.png

Here's what I would suggest: -
1. Get a multimeter and check for the presence of 24V (measure between wire 150 Red and machine ground) at the throttle lock lamp holder. You should have power at that point as soon as you close the machine master switch. You don't even need to turn on the key switch.
2. Remove the appropriate plug on the ECM and using a length of wire along with your multimeter test the Wire G946 Orange for continuity all the way between the lamp holder and the big connector at the ECM.

I think you will find a problem in either one or the other.

Ocka

Thanks Nige, Got it sorted as it turned out there was a broken wire in the harness that runs under the engine wire 150 the previous owner did try to rectify the issue as well but made a bit of a stuff up trying to do so,they disconnected one of the 150 wires that runs to the ecm from the service centre and connected it to patch wire and ran it to the lamp in the cab but the only problem was they connected it to the wrong lamp that was in the place of the throttle lock indicator,they actually connected it to intake air manifold heater lamp which is not fitted being an Australian machine.Once i worked that out and connected patch wire to correct lamp it was easy to fix.Really want to say thank you for help and support you gave me the confidence to resolve it.Thanks heaps Ocka.PS still yet to clear the codes but just glad to fix the problem.

Nige

Good to hear it.

I suggest that you study the Click Box thread and, if you’re confident enough, fabricate the “wishbone” cable shown on Page 4 and have a bash at clearing the Codes you have stored in the control at this time.