• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

12 ton; beaver tail vs tilt deck and multi max vs dually axles

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
I'm looking for a trailer to tow my 18,000lb loader. I will also be moving long sections of tree trunks and who knows what else. I really want something that's a good multi purpose trailer. Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of a tilt deck vs a traditional beaver tail trailer would be. I found a really nice deal on a "split deck" where the first 4' is stationary and then the rest of the bed tilts to the ground. Would this design prove to be more hassle than its worth?

Also I see plenty of the Econoline trailers, backhoe pro models with the multi max suspension. My first thought is to steer away from them but constantly wonder if they are all that bad or am I just downing an unorthodox design because its unfamiliar to me. I have steered away from the 9 ton tri axles because I suspect that tires would wear out too fast doing mostly around town work and the 18,000lb operating weight of my machine would be too close for comfort. Can anyone give me some insight on this matter?

mitch504

In my opinion, all of these trailers have their good and bad points, except the 9-ton tri-axles. They only have bad points.

The multi-max trailers are very good on really rough ground, since the axles are able to articulate and keep all the tires on the ground. If you don't spend a lot of time loaded off road, a dual tandem would be my choice. If you have a flat on a dual tandem, you can limp a ways, and you don't have to crawl under it to change a tire.

The tri-axles are vastly inferior to both of these, for several reasons. You only have 6 tires carrying the load, not 8. You can't limp on a flat, and usually ruin a rim with every flat. They can be very hard to turn unless loaded very nose heavy. I have had them push a 20,000 lb truck sideways more than once. The multi-max and dual tandem both turn much easier.

I have almost no experience w/ tilt trailers, but some low ground clearance machines are much easier to load on a tilt, and there is no "break over" when loading tracked equipment.

I own 2 9-ton triaxle tags, and a 10-ton Econoline and 12-ton Bame Multi-maxes. I have been using these types of trailers for over 25 yrs.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
Thank you for your very detailed response Mitch. The reason I ask of the tilt deck is because I found one that's really reasonable. Tires and paint are in good condition. Its a 1990, $2900obo. I think he would take $2500.....

The rims aren't the one ton dually style budds that I'm used to. Are they better or worse, more heavy duty, just different? It also strikes me as odd that the planks go cross ways instead of long ways.

Looks like the only thing really missing are diamond plate covers to go over the tires. I would assume that an 18,000lb all wheel drive wheel loader would have no problems with that tilt set up. I'm kind of afraid that I'm passing up a really good deal because I'm just unfamiliar with the layout of this trailer but on the other hand....wonder if its a good price because its just a poor design that has limited use.:confused::confused::confused: Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0113 (2).JPG
    IMG_0113 (2).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,951
  • IMG_0114 (2).jpg
    IMG_0114 (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,030
  • IMG_0115 (2).JPG
    IMG_0115 (2).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,987
  • IMG_0117 (2).JPG
    IMG_0117 (2).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,012
  • IMG_0118 (2).jpg
    IMG_0118 (2).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 2,212

JDOFMEMI

That trailer looks like it would do what you are asking. The fixed deck at the front is nice as it allows you to put attachments or other items on board prior to loading the equipment. The wheels are spoke style, and take some getting used to, but are a stronger design than the Budd wheels, but require care when changing to not end up with wheel wobble. The price seems good for the capacity as well.

Ditto on what mitch504 says about the 3 axle trailers. I have a 9 ton Econoline 3 axle, and it is rarely anything but a headache. It eats tires like a child eats candy. Wheels get ruined regularly, and not everyone stocks them, so sometimes you get stuck. The only redeeming quality is that on a long trip, they track straight, if you finally can keep good rubber on long enough to finish the trip. In addition, the 9 ton rating is gross weight, not payload, so it would be badly overloaded with an 18,000# loader. I struggle with mine hauling around 12,000, and would hate to think of hauling much more on a regular basis.

I have no experience with the multi-max, so I can't help there, but have had 2 Econoline trailers for over 10 years, and can say they are well built in my experience.

norite

I always thought I was a fan of tilt deck trailers until I hired one to move a loader which didn't have a reliable parking brake. If I was by myself I don't know how I could have loaded it and had it stay there until the trailer (landoll hydraulic semi trailer) got leveled and the wheels slid back.

I see you have a hydraulic cylinder under the deck, is this powered or just a shock absorber to keep the deck from slamming down. Just wanted to point out a possible issue you might not have considered.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Usually its a single double acting cyl that has a throttle in it to dampen the speed of the tilt/un tilt.

Last edited by a moderator:

dondiesel444

Hi,
I had an older Hudson 12 ton trailer with the "multi-max" type suspension. I really liked that trailer, except the beaver tail was only 4 feet and at a terribly steep angle, but I never had any issues with the suspension. like others have said it was great off-road and smooth pulling. changing tires under wasn't difficult, however I never got a flat while loaded and out on the road, I guess that is where a regular tandem tire trailer is far far superior. mine had 8-14.5 open wheel tires/wheels, they were small and light enough to change under there laying on my back. I did have some troubles keeping all 8 brakes working all the time, there are a lot of wires under there with an individual brake at each wheel. when they all worked it stopped very good.

I have no experience with a tilt deck. some people I know love them, others hate them. sorry I can't comment on that.

I currently have a 10 ton Interstate with air brakes. I can tell you this, I feel much more comfortable with this trailer than my old Hudson as far as hauling heavier equipment on it, this one has great stopping power, the air brakes make a huge difference over electric IMO. however I can't tow this trailer behind my pickup b/c of the air, so that makes it less convienent sometimes.

good luck with your choice!

dustin1

econoline multimax

Anyone ever change out the rubber bushings on an Econoline MultiMax dovetail trailer (12 ton) older model, and if so, where can I purchase the new bushings?

thanks