• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

12 or 24 volt system on Lull 644

scrapman1077

"Look at how the batteries are wired."
The machine had no batteries when I bought it, did have two small battery cables to use in a parallel setup. put new batteries in but it was cranking slowly.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I checked the specs on 644 HIghlander, the 644B, the 644C, and the 644E and they're all 12V. I've never seen a Lull that's 24V from the factory

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Might not be easy to see, but most alternators have specs stamped on them, generally on the frame just below the bolt ear for the top flange, that will say 12 or 24V. Starters sometimes also have tags on them to note voltage, then there's the gauges in the dash. Also the various solenoid coils for the hydraulics, they typically have a tag on them that notes the voltage. And no, none of these are easy to see and require some looking. As for slow cranking if it is 12V, possibly weak starter, and for sure needs substantial battery cables, like 2/0, as well as good hot group 31 batteries if it has the Deere engine in it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Several other things can factor in here. I don't know what series 644 you have, but Deere 4 cyl diesels, I've never known them to crank particularly fast, whether it's an old 4239 or a newer 4045T. We have a 10K Genie forklift with a 4045T, original design by Genie is the engine is at the year and the single group 31 battery is about mid frame on the right side. Not enough room in the box for another battery, and they used 2/0 cable, but that's about 10 ft of cable, it never cranks fast, and in winter, forget it. I've replace starters, replaced the battery, made sure the cable was good with good ground, still hard cranking in winter. One day I had enough of that machine, built another battery box closer to the engine, added a second group 31 battery with a shorter 2/0 cable to the starter. Now with those two batteries it cranks good enough to start. Another thing that can cause slow cranking, I'm not familiar with the Lull 644, but some machine hydraulic systems are designed to have a high stand by pressure for the pump. The Genie 844 is like that, as soon as you crank it starts building pump pressure, which labors the starter. On that machine Genie fitted a solenoid valve to de-stroke the pump, simply mash a push button on the dash while you're cranking to start the engine, once started you release the button and it engages and loads the pump. I don't know if your 644 has something like that, might want to check.

tractormech

It may have had a big 4D battery and they put 2 smaller batteries in it. The starter may be dragging as well. Also, Be sure to check for corroded battery cables. They'll be corroded up inside the cable and it won't crank well. That can take the starter out. A lot of these old engines are tired and don't have the compression they used to have, so if it's cold where you are and there's power available put a block heater in it. I did that to a couple of them we run. It'll crank in the morning. Good luck

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
...so if it's cold where you are and there's power available put a block heater in it. I did that to a couple of them we run. It'll crank in the morning.

Absolutely, if it doesn't already have one. Every Deere engine I've worked on in construction machines either has a coolant heater or it can be fitted, big 1 1/4" hex plug on the side of the head, you can get the heater kit from Deere and possibly even aftermarket.