1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

12.7 Detroit

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by petepilot, Jan 22, 2020.

1. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

94 yr mod 12.7 det. Died on the road this am as if ign. Turned . off will not start back not fuel problem . any thoughts?

2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Look for ECM power fuses from the batteries first.

Tenwheeler likes this.
  3. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

Power prob. Was my first thought. Have not checked it yet myself had it towed to yard

4. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Should be 2 fuses. 1 for each set of 3 cylinders. If you lost 1 it shoulda kept running on 3. If you dont have any error codes, pull the sir compressor discharge hose off. Crank the engine and see if you get delivery. If the accessory drive fails you lose compressor and fuel pump. Dragged a lot of Freightliner off the highways for this common problem

63 caveman and Tenwheeler like this.
  5. LN Pipeline

LN Pipeline Well-Known Member

My neighbor had this problem with a 12.7. Ended up being low coolant. Guess there is a shutoff switch for this?

I don’t know if your problem is that simple, but you could check.

6. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Will it crank, but just not start, like its out of fuel but you have fuel? Mine had a rubbed through wire behind the air compressor. I think its the wire that ran from ecm to crank sensor on the front of the engine.

funwithfuel likes this.
  7. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

I was able to bow out on this one .Turned it over to a shop that is supposed to have the talent & equip.to handle any Detroit prob.:) but yes it would crank but no go.

8. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

accessory drive link took a dive

funwithfuel likes this.