• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

100 year old 100 ton steam rail crane

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
(Is steam train stuff OK on Heavy Equipment Forum? It's a crane!)

Last month, I went out to Ely Nevada to the Northern Nevada Railway, to see one of the live steam weekends. They had out their more-than 100 year old, 100 ton, wrecking crane.

It was built by Industrial Works of Bay City Michigan in 1907.

Several things struck me:

At the turn of the 20th century, a crane operator wasn't expected to have a need to see anything. Looking ahead, the only thing the operator sees is gears and ropes on the drums.

Cabin heating was excellent, there was a boiler and firebox in the cabin.

Work happened very slowly, with these old cranes. I've seen steam shovels and early diesel powered cable shovels and cranes, and those had engines that ran continuously to power the machine; the operator clutched and braked a function or two at a time. This steam crane has a throttle and reverse-er to start and stop the engine each time it is needed. The engine power drive to the line drums, the boom drum and the swing gear are shifted-gears, in or out, shifted when the engine is stopped. The swing and drums brakes are hand screws with iron wheels as large as any steering wheel. The operator has to set a brake, stop and center the engine, shift gears, throttle against the anticipated load, and let off the brake to start the next operation. The demonstration was lifting and lowering a rail car, so the car had to go back down on to the rails. The spotter had to get the pick set-up just right. So there was a good bit of to-ing and fro-ing to get it swung and boomed to the exact spot. It made me think that in the old days, the operator and his spotter would have to have been very good mates.

View attachment 100467View attachment 100468View attachment 100469

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Jim, if those attachments are photos can you try reposting them as photos as they they won't open for me, but you sure got my curiosity up..:)

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I apologize that I screwed up the attachment of the pictures. If I can do this correctly, here are the three pictures that are attached to the original post.

(The preview looks OK, except the order is reversed. Doooh...)

Attachments

• Northern-Nevada-3.jpg
    Northern-Nevada-3.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 975
  • Northern-Nevada-2.jpg
    Northern-Nevada-2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 792
  • Northen-Nevada-1.jpg
    Northen-Nevada-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 970

td25c

Thats pretty cool Jim D :thumbsup I would imagine that is one of very few rail road steam cranes still in working condition.Thanks for sharing the photos and story. I see they also have a website,be a great place to visit www.nevadanorthernrailway.net

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I'd love to hear that run .

It has a whistle! You could do a long-and-a-short, a high-and-low, or whistle Dixie. After you heard it, you might give your left nut to have a whistle on a crane. By comparison, any modern crane horn that I've heard sounds like a goose or a bagpipe (a stepped upon goose or bagpipe).

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I thought you were the original operator of that crane Tine,,,, he he

:D

Jim D there is a crane very similar to that one if not the same brand sitting in Quepos, Costa Rica. I have some pictures of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find them. It's sitting on a short piece of rain at the end of the docks.