1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

10 ton trailers

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by tbaero153, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Tags

Tags Senior Member

I do understand the cost of a new 20 ton seems outrageous, as does the registration fees, as does the fact that Connecticut requires registration renewals of commercial vehicles in April when no contractor really has any cash flow, but that's a whole other issue.... If you can be patient keep checking CL or the Truck and Equipment Post there are some very clean low mileage 20 tonners that pop, you just need to get in the habit of checking every couple of days. Also if you buy used you get around paying the FET tax. I'm not trying to spend your money, just giving you things to consider since it is a considerable purchase.

2. monster76

monster76 Senior Member

You realize alot of trailers are rated for 10 ton capacity and when you look at thier specs the gvwr is often higher for example my eager beaver 20 ton has a gvw of 48,840 and the trailer comes in at around 8k which leaves me with 40k to play with.

3. ericscher

ericscher Well-Known Member

I reckon pretty much everyone realizes that.

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Not necessarily. There was another thread discussing the same topic - how manufacturers rate their trailers. Some rate their trailers as total GVW and some rate them at payload. One has to read the specs to determine the difference.

For example some 20 ton trailers are not rated to carry 20 tons, one has to subtract the weight of the trailer to achieve the payload. It's can get confusing for first time buyers.

5. ericscher

ericscher Well-Known Member

Point taken.

6. planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy Well-Known Member

Operator , Cert Welder , Class "A" Truck Driver
    plus.... you're all using "SHORT TON" figures @ 2,000

a long ton is 2,254 lbs....

that 254 adds up....

7. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

Never heard that number before . . . where does the 2240 pound ton fit in?

Cheers.

8. planecrazzzy

planecrazzzy Well-Known Member

Operator , Cert Welder , Class "A" Truck Driver
    Oooops... I was off..... it "is" 2,240 , Thanks for catching that !

ok I was off 14 lbs,,, But the point is the same...

When your talking a few tons.... Rounding the numbers to Short ton is easier to figure in yer head...

But when you start stringing 20 of them... your not adding 4,800 lbs

Just a reminder to newbies...

9. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

Gotcha mate, no worries, I never could understand the "short" ton thing, I figured it must have ben a slip.

Cheers.