• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

10 ton hudson brothers trailer

jca57jd

I know that my trailer is rated for 10ton max but how much weight can this trailer realy handle? Im wondering if it can handle a 23000ib track loader im looking at. It has 10K Dexter Oil Bath axles under it. Hers a link to look at the specs on the trailer! http://www.hudsontrailers.com/docs/details/htd10t.php

Whats the fine if i got caught hauling this load on the trailer?

mudmaker

I guess if you could get 9k on the hitch you could get it to axle out, but the problem is if the trailer hitch is only designed to handle 5 or 6k you will end up putting a lot of extra stress on the hitch. If it was only a one time thing I might try it, but for regular use I would get one rated a little heavier, JMHO.

I dont think you would get a fine if you had the wieght distributed correctly.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I know that my trailer is rated for 10ton max but how much weight can this trailer realy handle? Im wondering if it can handle a 23000ib track loader im looking at. It has 10K Dexter Oil Bath axles under it. Hers a link to look at the specs on the trailer! http://www.hudsontrailers.com/docs/details/htd10t.php

Whats the fine if i got caught hauling this load on the trailer?

Let's see if I got this straight; Trailer, rated by mfg at 10T max. 10T max. That's, what, 20,000 lb? You want to haul a 23,000 lb load. What's wrong with this picture? You ask what the fine would be if you got caught with this load on this trailer, I'd be more concerned on what the legal consequences would be if you killed someone in an accident loading a trailer above the mfg max load. DOT and lawyers take this stuff way serious. It's what lawyers like to call...negligence.

jca57jd

yeh thats defanetly true but i also know that every body always under rates ther stuff so they can be safe!

td25c

It's a nice looking trailer.Tire size has alot to do with capacity.I have seen loboys with two ratings on the same trailer.For instance,It might be rated at 35 tons at 55 MPH,and 45 tons at speeds below 30 MPH.DOT will go off the rim width of the wheel.I beleve It's 800# per inch of rim width.The trailer would probably handel the wieght ok.Keep your brakes well adjusted & inspected.If you have not bought a highlift yet,you might consider one slightly smaller so you are ok on the trailer rating and DOT.What kind of high lift dozer are you looking at jca57jd?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
yeh thats defanetly true but i also know that every body always under rates ther stuff so they can be safe!

That's true. And I'm not saying the trailer probably wouldn't handle the load. I'm simply reminding you to CYA in our lawsuit happy society. If a person can sue McDonalds over "hot coffee" (you mean coffee's hot!), anything is possible. Just tryin' to watch out for ya'. ;)

mudmaker

Mentioning tires, you could get some 19.5 rims and tires to increase the capacity.

td25c

jca57jd

You can get it without the cab! If i get one its going to be standard rops and a 4in1 bucket

celticcrusader

Mentioning tires, you could get some 19.5 rims and tires to increase the capacity.
then you would have to get trailer recertified, you can't just put tires on it and haul more weight , the tag still says 20k lbs. also how much does trl. weigh? take that right of the gross weight rating or is the 20k rating the carrying weight?

treemover

All 23k of the dozer will not be on the trailer. You have to allow for the weight transfer off the hitch on the truck. And I would bet that would be in the range of 4-5k so you are within limits of the trailer.

JDMGrading

Yes you can do it. I've done it. The Hudson trailers are some of the strongest and toughest i've ever had. I did'nt do it but I've heard of someone putting a Deere 550H dozer on my 6 ton Hudson and moving it 3 miles down the road. Maybe thats why the ramps are bent now?

But I can also let you know that the NCDOT is really cracking down on overloaded pickups and medium duty trucks.

mudmaker

then you would have to get trailer recertified, you can't just put tires on it and haul more weight , the tag still says 20k lbs. also how much does trl. weigh? take that right of the gross weight rating or is the 20k rating the carrying weight?

Actually it would allow you to carry the full trailer gvwr on the axles. The gvwr of the trailer says 25k according to the spec sheet. Of that 25k, 5k of it is the weight of the trailer. If you can get it to where you could put 23k legally on the axles it would keep the tongue weight reasonable. It covers the overweight fine issues that could be an issue if you happen to not get the weight transferred just right with the 16" tires.

td25c

Well I tell ya guys,I'd say that hudson brothers trailer will handle the jd 605 highlift just fine.Where you get into trouble on tires is on a long journey on a 100 degree day running fast,and hauling heavy.The tires will heat up and possibly blow.Short hauls are not a problem.I don't own a lowboy that hasn't been overloaded at some point in time.My lowboy's have also been modifed structurally in the gooseneck and main frame to accommodate certain conditions with hauling equipment.It is amazing what a a lowboy will handle.

ironmule2004

Thats a good looking trailer. The 10" 15lb channel for the main frame doesn't sound too good. I used 12" 31 lb I beam on a gooseneck trailer I built with 12k axles.