• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1-wire Delco-Remy alternator with tach terminal

Delmer

This is what popped up on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERN...m1dUr6D:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!54665!US!-1

What kind of belt? you'll probably need to find a multi V pulley, right?

Most alternators are "internally regulated", if you really want a one wire, then get "one wire". Nothing wrong with it for a conversion like this, but wiring a switched power feed to the alternator is worth the trouble too.

fitterski

Occupation
retired
It's a grooved belt, as stock on '95 ram diesel truck. I saw that alternator model a few minutes ago but cannot positively identify the tach connector on the image (some makers label it R, some others W, the image not at all). From the looks I could probably swap my existing grooved pulley over.

fitterski

Occupation
retired
ok, I just id'd the R terminal on a blown up image, yeah, that looks like it could be perfect. I don't really need a switched supply, it's for a snow blower with everything either running full tilt or shut right down :)

Delmer

If you have the existing alternator, you could wire the power supply through an oil pressure switch, or with a diode from the injection pump power (the diode keeps the alternator from back feeding the injection pump and not letting you shut it off).

Also saw replacement multi V (grooved?) pulleys for Delco alternators, just another $20.

fitterski

Occupation
retired
The injection pump is a mechanical P7100 (engine is an old cummins 12-valve). Before engine start I connect the battery ground and from then on until I'm done (about 1-2 hours) everything stays ON and HOT. After a few minutes warming the engine goes to 1800 or so and never comes down. The current alternator is a externally excited DB-Electric that has lost some diodes and has killed 2 voltage regulators, so I'm keen on trying a 1-wire model with a tach tap and Delco-Remy or Denso (2 makes I've had good experiences with). I 'could' do without an alternator altogether but the belt needs an idler pulley which would have cost me almost the same price as an alternator so I installed and alternator (modded with a stator tap for tach) :) I figure I would simplify my life with a 1-wire-plus-tach Delco/Denso if I can find one, or a DB if I can't.

fitterski

Occupation
retired
A 5.9, P7100, 190 hp snow blower?
Pics?
it's 175hp but that don't mean nothing because I can only use about 1800-2000 rpm, The engine replaces with twice the torque an earlier Deutz 4-holer that was undertorque. I just changed to a better rubber coupling that for once allows me a service-factor of more than 1/2 :))) There will be an update video later in the season, for now I have other probs with the 'hosting vehicle' now gone into a pro shop (other thread).