• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

1 ton service truck build- looking for ideas

dzlnut

hey guys

I am interested in building a building a service truck on a 3rd gen dodge 3500 DRW chassis and I want to get some ideas on how to build it out

can you guys posts pics of your rigs?

what made you choose the box layout you did?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A lot of this is going to depend on what you want and your budget, A regular machinery service body with a crane? a flat bed with some Pro-tech boxes above an below with a Snap-on road chest on the bed? Air compressor? Welder?
I'll dig out a pic of one of my trucks I like the best. Everything is set up to be worked from the ground without having to climb all over the truck.

td25c

We went with a 1974 Ford F-350 on the first round back in the early 1990's .

Had a 460 tier something engine and KNAPHEIDE tool bed .

Miller 250 trailblazer welder , torch tanks , gas drive air compressor & electric crane .

Coal mine mechanic showed me how to set it up & what to do with it .

"Thanks Ike " :)

Payed for itself many times wrenching on customers equipment in the field and our junk .

They are a money machine .:cool:
scan0004[1].jpg

dzlnut

A lot of this is going to depend on what you want and your budget, A regular machinery service body with a crane? a flat bed with some Pro-tech boxes above an below with a Snap-on road chest on the bed? Air compressor? Welder?
I'll dig out a pic of one of my trucks I like the best. Everything is set up to be worked from the ground without having to climb all over the truck.

Well Im open on budget right now, I an interested in a dedicated service bed.

Im not a professional mechanic the purpose of the bed is to have all my tools and equipment organized and have a full usable bed. I need to be able to fix trailers, random small equipment and whatever else comes my way.
I dont need a crane right now but I would like to have the option to add 1 in the future.
I was thinking about frame mounting a small air compressor so it is out of the way

I would like to have a 2000-3500 watt generator kept on my top lid tie down with E-track but from what I was told by 1 service bed manufacture it would not be possible to have E-track mounted on the Top lid because it will mess up the hinge alignment

has anyone done that?

Vetech63

Is that crane a 6006E? Dam, I sure miss mine...…...I grew up with the full electric rigs and used them up until a couple of years ago. The hydraulic one I have now just doesn't feel right.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Is that crane a 6006E? Dam, I sure miss mine...…...I grew up with the full electric rigs and used them up until a couple of years ago. The hydraulic one I have now just doesn't feel right.
Yep, I got it nearly free from a company that was tired of messing with electrical issues on it (they had no ground brush on the turntable spindle). 200 bucks worked for me.

crane operator

I like the torch location RZucker, I see a lot of welder beds by me now where they have the tanks up in the truck, mounted at a 30 deg. angle behind the cab or just behind the welder. I've seen them change bottles and it sure doesn't look easy.

td25c

I see a lot of welder beds by me now where they have the tanks up in the truck, mounted at a 30 deg. angle behind the cab or just behind the welder. I've seen them change bottles and it sure doesn't look easy.

They don't have an Auto Crane . :)

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I like the torch location RZucker, I see a lot of welder beds by me now where they have the tanks up in the truck, mounted at a 30 deg. angle behind the cab or just behind the welder. I've seen them change bottles and it sure doesn't look easy.
The truck was originally a Union Pacific rail welding truck and the torch cylinder rack was already there, but I do like that feature (or my back does), again I can run everything on this truck with my feet on the ground. The air compressor has a remote start and choke so I don't have to climb up to run it. It's been a good rig for 20 years.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
They don't have an Auto Crane . :)
No kidding, My Chevy 1 ton has the cylinders right behind the cab in the service body standing vertically, most of the time I use the crane to swing them out using a small "s" hook in the cap hole. Just don't tell uncle OSHA.

AzIron

Box layout is all on preference if your on the side of the road all the time it might be smarter to put your drawers and hand tools on the passenger side

I personally say the bigger and stouter the work bench bumper is the better there is never enough room on them

The thing I have learned with 1 tons and why I hate them is you have to put some thought into what you can carry and what you can't carry it doesn't take long to overload them

dzlnut

Box layout is all on preference if your on the side of the road all the time it might be smarter to put your drawers and hand tools on the passenger side

I personally say the bigger and stouter the work bench bumper is the better there is never enough room on them

The thing I have learned with 1 tons and why I hate them is you have to put some thought into what you can carry and what you can't carry it doesn't take long to overload them

those are good suggestions thank you, I will definitely have my go to tools and equipment on the passenger side
the reason for it being a 1 ton is that its gonna be my daily driver as well.

Does anyone have top lid drawers? Do you have E-track installed on them?

td25c

No kidding, My Chevy 1 ton has the cylinders right behind the cab in the service body standing vertically, most of the time I use the crane to swing them out using a small "s" hook in the cap hole. Just don't tell uncle OSHA.

Have done the same with a J- hook off the service crane pulling tanks .

Don will pardon us for the infraction if it sped up production & cut cost's . :)

" Swap that tank out fast " LOL :D

serveimageAI3HZA50.jpg

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have one that I tapped and threaded a lifting eye into. A full T tank of argon or whatever is 100+ lbs. I don't want to lift that...
Just think of it as beer keg and get loading it by hand. After all you do make beer money from it.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

My take on driverside tool boxes is that I'm not trying to walk around in the dark on a steep, washed out shoulder bank, or up against a snowbank or guardrail. I like to get as far to the right as possible and not see much of the off side of the truck in the dark.