• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

06 CAT 277B restoration

hvguy

Any updates?
Not at the moment, been too busy riding bikes in the awesome weather in south texas

why do people buy these machines? they have the worst undercarriages.
because with a little elbow grease, it'll be a bad ass machine for a fair price.

Besides, I only need for it to run another 200 hours or so; then ill send it on down the road.

hvguy

Last edited:

hvguy

moving right along (somewhat)

Wrote up a quick program and machined a few axles to start. I figured out I need to probably put a C-clip to keep the bearings and hub centered on the axle... More to do.
IMAG1973.jpg IMAG1974.jpg IMAG1977.jpg

skata

i'll give you props for doing what you're doing.
how will you keep the dirt away from the bearings? i imagine those seals don't keep out dirt and water.

hvguy

i'll give you props for doing what you're doing.
how will you keep the dirt away from the bearings? i imagine those seals don't keep out dirt and water.
They will to some degree.

I plan on taking the idea from another member; he used a punch to cut out seals from conveyor belt material and smash it in place of the old stuff.

The Peej

Check the relay before you replace the lift pump. Mine was installed so that the connection can get corroded.
I've seen this too. If i remember correctly the relay was just inside the rear door on the right side attached to the wire harness mounted upside down so that water could collect inside the cover.

hvguy

Sup fam!

Finally getting around to making those axles. Got them all machined and notches for the retainer clips ground in. One thing I am going to have an issue with is the seals to keep debris out. Since conveyor belt is going to be a manual labor nightmare, I opted for cutting them out of a sheet of Delrin (acetyl) to save time, and for a more "brick **** house" approach. Having them pressed into the hub and allowing about 4 thou of tolerance between the shaft and the seal... should keep rocks and junk out. Plus seeing as the bearing seal is attached to the outer race, even if something gets in there, it won't grind against the seal.

Fingers crossed, ill order the sheet this week and turn them out next weekend (hopefully)

IMAG2218.jpg IMAG2219.jpg

skata

might be a long shot, but if you could somehow search for wheel bearing seals, based on the inner diameter of the housing, and the outer diameter of the rod.

hvguy

might be a long shot, but if you could somehow search for wheel bearing seals, based on the inner diameter of the housing, and the outer diameter of the rod.
I did poke around for a bit but, the only thing that worries me, is the factory triple lip seal is garbage... and if you have ever seen it.... it looks like a seriously durable part. I have read of people replacing them and getting 100 hours till the oil pours out. Im going with a "rock shield" of sorts to keep large debris from contacting the bearing seal, and hoping for the best.

skata

seal and delrin on top sounds good. what if you pack grease behind the seal? would that be better?

hvguy

seal and delrin on top sounds good. what if you pack grease behind the seal? would that be better?
hmm, possibly, problem is all the seals will cost about $220 plus $150 for the delrin. But damn would it be durable.

hvguy

Also, what about this, I can get aluminum cheaper than plastic... what if I use the seal and an aluminum disc to keep large stuff from damaging the seal...

f311fr1

Bair uses an aluminum disc bot it does not press in it just rides loose. Kind of useless if you ask me.