• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'06 Bobcat A300 Chaincase

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I saw something on YouTube (HowIDidIt is the channel-has great information on Bobcat repairs) that reminded me of this thread.
After re-reading my thread today, I felt as like I should share some more info.
When my neighbor machined the bosses on the sprockets he had to make a shoulder instead of a bevel. This was because the bosses were not centered on the sprockets so they rotated concentrically when on the lathe. I'm pretty sure that the spline drive was machined in the center of the axle but the boss being concentric allowed them to interfere with the bearing carrier/axle tube. Bobcat did not like the shoulder and told me that this would lead to failure. I installed them anyway and we have not had any problems to date. This thread was started in 2011 and we are now in 2023. The machine now has over 6,000 hours on it (4,000 hours of operation since repair was performed) and still no issues with the sprockets. YAY!
Another interesting tidbit: As I think that I had reported at the beginning of this thread, my Bobcat dealer had told told me that, not only had they never seen such an issue as this, but they had never even heard of this happening before either (many of those who replied to this thread reported that they were told the same song and dance by their dealers as well). Well!....This must be a very rare occurrence then!! Lucky me!...I would sooner have found the golden goose to hear them tell it. After my neighbor had machined the sprockets, he dropped them off on my front porch. While they were on the porch I heard a knock at the door. When I answered the door, I was greeted by a Jehovah's witness. After I politely indicated that I had no interest in subscribing to his religious protocols, he pointed at my sprockets and asked if they were from a Bobcat skid steer. "Why yes, they are....My neighbor must have dropped those off after machining them" I replied. He then proceeded to tell me about his 753 having the exact same issue several years prior. This was from a total stranger, and without any prompting what-so-ever. Hmmm....

DGODGR, Today at 2:35 PMReport

Thanks for updating everything that happened and how it worked out. Good to find out that your modification worked. I have done some on Cat Skid Steer top boom pins by making shims so boom won't hammer back and forth. Cat said it was not necessary, had nothing to fix it. Did a 236B skidsteer 15 years ago and still tight 3000HRS later.
Your story reminds me that dealers just want to sell new equipment, or fix in their shop. Glad to hear you solved it.
Simon C

Bobcat Crazy

Occupation
Environmental Services Director
I struggle to stay off the soap box myself. When you think about it, having integrity is really only hard when you might be trying to avoid being responsible for your actions. It's just a choice.
I forgot to mention one other thing. After the Bobcat guys put my machine back to together, I had to back in there and fix their work. On my first job, we had to drive up a ramp to get over a 4' retaining wall, so we could access the site. The machine kept leaving a trail of oil when going over it. It wasn't a particularly hard fix (they forgot to install a couple of the bolts in the back chain case cover) but I was surely unhappy after paying the "experts" to put the machine back together.

Yes at the rate they charge it seems they should be experts and confirm they completed everything. Even a shade tree guy like me is smart enough to know that when I have bolts and/or parts left over that I have missed something.

That is why I do all of my own work. However I just use my machines for playing around our own place. So I have time to do that, I know you guys that are running equipment on a business basis doesn't have time to repair you own stuff. So I understand why you guys would have to take your machines to the dealer. But it certainly leaves a bad taste when you have to pay the crazy high bill and complete their work too! :mad: