• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

04 F550 6.0

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
I’m considering going to look at a 04 F550 with a 6.0 Powerstroke mechanic boom truck. I know the horrible things I’ve heard, but it seems like a good deal. Is there any advice you could give of what to look for when checking it over?
Thanks Brandon

Inthedirt42

Scanner to view FICM voltage and high pressure oil pump pressure. Decent difference in oil/coolant temp can indicate a oil cooler in need of replacement.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Yeah...hmmm well....if you are willing to do all the mods...it could turn out ok...if not...well hmmm.yeah....that is alot like saying if a cow died 30 days ago and is half price and i can still save the meat..and there is only an 80% chance of getting sick....is it still worth it...sorry i bought 3 of em brand new and when i think about them i still get the runs..

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Are they really that bad? What all mods need to be done, just the egr delete? I would figure someone could have something good to say lol.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Yeah...injectors...ihop pump mod...head bolts...egr....head gaskets...special valve cover gasket problems...etc...etc...etc....cooler...man i tried to forget everything...so i know i am forgetting something. 6.4 is worse though

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
Gosh oh!! I don’t know now... I was hoping some people just had bad luck. Figured you could find a good one every now & then.

Old Doug

We just got one at work its a flatbed with a crane. In the around 100 they have put on the truck its been great. If you can get it for scrap price buy it.We got this one for the bed they were going to sell the truck for a 1000.00 and put the bed n something else but now their going to use it till something gos wrong.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
It’s got a tool bed with service crane 4x4 truck. But has 300xxx some miles on it. Looks good from the pics they sent. I’ve not seen it in person or checked anything, I was just hoping someone would have something good to say.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Well ford and navistar darn near lost their shorts over the 6.0 and 6.4...and the vt 365 is a 6.0...i do agree though if u get it at scrap price it is worth it.....you can put something else under body when it blows

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I called mine 6.NO. Total junk. F450 with service body, engine went to ford way too many times, the last had an estimate for a new engine at $18,000. it went to the scrapyard. Head gaskets
Yeah...injectors...ihop pump mod...head bolts...egr....head gaskets...special valve cover gasket problems...etc...etc...etc....cooler...man i tried to forget everything...so i know i am forgetting something. 6.4 is worse though
About sums it up.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I bought my F550 a year earlier than I had planned to get the 7.3 instead of the 6.0 and I'm glad I did. I've been a Ford truck buff since I started driving, well maybe even before that and the 6.0 was a terrible engine. Soon after they came out dealers had more trucks parked around back waiting for engine transplants than they did out front for sale. The variable turbo was a big problem, head gaskets among other things. Some shops did figure out how to make them reliable but without the modifications I'd say it's a ticking time bomb. Stay away from the 6.4 too.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I bought my F550 a year earlier than I had planned to get the 7.3 instead of the 6.0 and I'm glad I did. I've been a Ford truck buff since I started driving, well maybe even before that and the 6.0 was a terrible engine. Soon after they came out dealers had more trucks parked around back waiting for engine transplants than they did out front for sale. The variable turbo was a big problem, head gaskets among other things. Some shops did figure out how to make them reliable but without the modifications I'd say it's a ticking time bomb. Stay away from the 6.4 too.
I love the V-10 gasser in my pet pickup. :)

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
I’ll have to ask if any of the upgraded mods have been done it. Sounds like they’re rough engines to deal with. Lord knows all I need is 1 more thing around here to work on. Wish I’d hear better news but glad you all speak the truth.

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
I’ll have to do some searching on foogle to see. Thanks for everyone’s input on this. More advice is welcome

Brandon_M

Occupation
Self employed
How do I check the high volume oil pump pressure? Is that just with the oil pressure gauge or something else? Lol sorry if that’s a dumb question