• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

“In cab” kit

TVA

Does anyone who has “in cab” tool kit want to share their, or share some ideas for it.

For now I’m thinking small 1/4 drive sockets kit and 12volt driver.

Last edited:

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I don't have it in-cab but in a small doctor bag I keep in the compartment behind the cab.

6 in 1 screwdriver. Philips and flathead screwdrivers. Vise grips, linemans, needle nose pliers. Crescent wrench (Channellock brand by far my favorite). Allen key folding set. Electric impact screwdriver with socket and bit kit. Voltmeter. Knife. Scissors. I am sure there are some other things but that is what I grab whenever I walk up to something that is broken.

Reactions: TVA

TVA

Sorry, I was unclear!
I’m talking about minimal tool kit that you take with you to work inside the cab, wiring, ECM, A/C work. The one small enough to not to be hassle, and comprehensive enough to not jump in and out of cab hundred times.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I guess it would depend on the task at hand. But for general purpose, get in and not come out til you need a part, I would take from BV .
1/4" hex bit set, sockets, cordless screwdriver (I love the dewalt gyroscopic), DVOM , knipex cobra pliers and relay tester.
This would give you access to and behind nearly any panel or duct. Maybe add a small adjustable wrench for when the pliers aren't enough.

TVA

I guess it would depend on the task at hand. But for general purpose, get in and not come out til you need a part, I would take from BV .
1/4" hex bit set, sockets, cordless screwdriver (I love the dewalt gyroscopic), DVOM , knipex cobra pliers and relay tester.
This would give you access to and behind nearly any panel or duct. Maybe add a small adjustable wrench for when the pliers aren't enough.
Good one on relay tester!

TVA

I have this idea to make cigarette lighter adapter but for ground only. Many times I found my self in plastic filled cab looking for place that has a ground.
Actually maybe having both power and ground divided by insulator will be more useful!

Wait a minute! Isn’t Powe Probe has that adapter?

JD955SC

I don’t have a separate kit but I use my Milwaukee m12 1/4” hex drive impact and a set of bits a lot for the screws and bolts in cab. Makes a tedious job faster. There is a low setting on it that is perfect for the fasteners to avoid stripping threads and heads.

And then of course normal flush cuts for zip ties, a worklight, pickup tools for hard to reach stuff. A fan is also really nice for warmer days. Magnetic trays for all the little screws.

I also have a Bluepoint 3/8 drive handle that enables you to use the 3/8 drive Allen sockets and torx sockets like a quarter drive handle and helps with in cab work

Old Doug

I was thinking about useing one of those deal that has a handle for carying cleaning supplys.I would rig it up so nutdrivers, screwdrivers and pliers stood up in it. But i also need some thing that can be closed up for transporting. Wright now i have a toolbag with this stuff in it its a pain diging through it. I have been wanting to make up sets of stuff to cutdown on trips to the tool box. It seams like no 2 trucks are alike its not like the old days were a mechanic could have a job to do and know exactly what wrenches worked the best on the bolts he needed to remove.

TVA

I was thinking about useing one of those deal that has a handle for carying cleaning supplys.I would rig it up so nutdrivers, screwdrivers and pliers stood up in it. But i also need some thing that can be closed up for transporting. Wright now i have a toolbag with this stuff in it its a pain diging through it. I have been wanting to make up sets of stuff to cutdown on trips to the tool box. It seams like no 2 trucks are alike its not like the old days were a mechanic could have a job to do and know exactly what wrenches worked the best on the bolts he needed to remove.
I bought tray for $7 in Wall Mart works great! Also if you interested look in to HVAC tools, they have many different tools various sizes very useful and comfortable! I’ve got one.

Delmer

Check out the tool totes that Home depot or Harbor freight carry. HF is advertising "hercules" their better brand of tool totes, but they haven't shown up in the store yet. Home depot has some nice ones too. everybody has them, those are what seems most suitable to me.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Found this at Lowes . It's a bit pricey.looks like you could get carried away with something like this.

Attachments

• 084298955532lg.jpg
    084298955532lg.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 18

hvy 1ton

I have a 14" husky bag that is my carry bag/in cab kit/electrical kit. I put most of this together when I was still custom harvesting. I tried to keep it small so I put it in a tractor/combine cab all day if I needed to. If I was tearing into cab panels all the time a 12v hex driver, 1/4" drive adapter, and 1/4" socket set in a bigger bag would be nice.
  • cutting/crimping pliers
  • ratcheting crimper for heat shrink connectors
  • automatic wire stripper
  • 6" adjustable pliers
  • 6" pliers wrench
  • 6" linesman pliers
  • 6" needle nose
  • 5" flush cut pliers
  • 5 screwdrivers
  • ratcheting bit driver
  • 39 pc "security" bit set
  • utility knife