• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL130 floating seal

My TL130 with the Daikin motor/final drives has at best guess a leaking floating seal - it's leaking a substantial quantity of gear oil out of the final drive between the motor and the sprocket. Drive is still strong so I'm sure the motor is still good but I need to fix it obviously.

Has anyone done this job? Do you need to fully strip the motor as well as the final drive, or can you just disassemble the final drive side of the unit to do the floating seal? The Takeuchi workshop manual sections on the unit have in order:
-disassembly of the final drive
-disassembly of the motor
-removal of the floating seal

But it's a full detail strip of the motor side - is this necessary, is there an impediment to stripping the final drive side that requires the motor side to also be fully stripped? Only thing I can think of is that it seems that you need to fully strip the motor to get the motor shaft out of the final drive, but that shouldn't stop taking the planet carrier out of the final drive anyway?

heymccall

The motor has to come off if you're gonna change the seal between the hydraulic oil and the gear oil. If you ain't changing that, then the motor can stay attached.Screenshot_20240331-082958_Drive.jpg

Thanks, it's not that seal, it's the floating seal between the sprocket housing/final drive ring gear housing, and the mounting flange housing for the entire motor/final drive assembly. Part number 17 on page 8-22.

It's leaking pure gear oil, it doesn't look like there's any cross leakage from the hydraulic side.

Means I will need to remove the sprocket housing and make up the tools required to do that (socket for the castle nut, and a puller for the housing).

heymccall

I realize that it's only the floating seal leaking...it's just that many folks will go the extra steps to do the motor seal since the labor has already been expended (track and gearbox removal).

I realize that it's only the floating seal leaking...it's just that many folks will go the extra steps to do the motor seal since the labor has already been expended (track and gearbox removal).
Now seeing hydraulic fluid leaking out the floating seal when walking past the machine today, I have only run the machine for about an hour since discovering the floating seal leak for necessary work, I expect that some of the free glitter floating around in the final drive has made its way up and chewed up the shaft seal! Guess it's getting replaced anyway!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
That floating seal only seals in the gear oil between the rotating and stationary parts of the final. The gear oil will always be exposed to the motor shaft and seal. Never seen a Tak final apart before but every final drive I've ever encountered has been that way. I doubt the wear material floating around in the final drive oil was your root cause.

That motor is likely making excessive case pressure, which popped the shaft seal (usually the weakest point). Then it overfilled and pressurized the final drive to the point it blew the floating seal.

The motor was not draining hydraulic fluid into the final drive case until the last time I operated the machine about a week ago, the planetary side had been leaking dry after every use nothing but gear oil, when I saw the machine today the final drive stain was mostly hydraulic oil instead of gear oil.

I used the machine about a week ago for 1 hour, but filled the planetary with gear oil before I did, and I just remembered that afterwards while hot, I tried flushing some of the arts and crafts glitter out with a couple of liters of engine oil before part-filling the final drive with gear oil (no point filling the drive to operate it for 30 seconds when the oils all gonna leak out anyway).

I am just now realizing typing this out, the reason the stain was mixed hydraulic oil and gear oil this time - the engine oil I used to flush the case didn't completely drain before I parked the machine up, and it separated out, clearly engine and gear oil doesn't mix. The Take's use engine oil as hydraulic fluid, so I'm confusing the fluid I used for the flush for a hydraulic leak! Stupid.

I am 99% sure the motor is fine, it's making speed in both speed modes and the machine has no more straight line drift than any other track loader I've used.

Machine isn't getting used again until this final drive gets rebuilt. I have the rebuild kit sitting here, just need to find the time to do it!