• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need to press a flange on a pinion shaft

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
well, i thought of that got the last 2 from a different vendor but Komatsu pretty good on getting OEM parts from I would think, I just keep getting told it not getting pressed in far enough when the other shafts you can see the marks where it was spinning im at least 2mm or 3mm away from where it should be
Try taking the worst pair and place the plate over a solid bench with a hole big enough to take the shaft and with a heavy hammer wack the shaft into the plate . See if that drives it in enough . Seems to me the splines are not matched . When the welding failed why was that ? I can see reasons why it might , 1 the plate was loose on the inside that had it wobble and break the weld . 2 not enough weld there , that may come about because the welder was replacing the nut rather than joining the plate to the shaft. 3 the plate not square to the pinion when welded .

Can you post the Dozer serial number and the part numbers of the plates and pinions , I may be able to check if the parts match your tractor .

Riccardocastiglia

at this point i woud have it looked at by a machinist that would calculate tolerances, new parts even oem don't always fit unfortunatly

JimInOz

The D31 needs 4-12 ton of press force to fit pinion,but the book recommends using 50T push-puller.
Use molybdenum disulphide grease on splines.The D31 manual is very specific about the steps required.....is your manual showing these steps?

tctractors

The space I have found with Komatsu equipment that they give you is very restrictive, I use an odd style cylinder to press up the tight space flanges on D41's etc, might I describe it to you as it works a treat, it has SKF stamped on it and measures at it's widest point 150mm, it has an internal thread cut in it that is 85mm x 2, with a thickness of around 45mm (it might be thinner?) this I can place onto the flange with my adapter that fits onto the pinion thread and press it in place, so the cylinder is 150mm with a centre hole of 85mm and a thickness of 45ish mm the ton force I would put as around 20 ton and it works a treat, it does have as I said SKF stamped on it but nothing else other than 85 x 2, as I know the press fit targets are a lot lower than CAT I have never be worried about its use, I hope this helps as i realize you are at your limit with this task, again might I wish you the Best of Luck to overcome your problem.

56wrench

Take it apart and put Prussian Blue on the splines , reassemble, tighten and then disassemble to check the mating surfaces to see if they match. If there is not contact over the full length of the splines in the hub, then it is likely it was machined wrong. Or machinists dye would likely work also