• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Zacklift

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Ah yes they can't help themselves. We used to have one, Barney, he'd have a load, empty yard except for an old wore out local trailer. He'd walk around it and kick tires or whatever. Then he'd proudly proclaim "yep it'll make the trip" load her up. Didn't matter if it was from Tulsa to OKC or frickin LA it was a done deal in his mind. Good strategy ;-)

Junkyard

Truck Shop

Today's progress-removed the suspension and cut the rail off to accept the new rail and inserts plus cleaned out the existing rail. New rail and inserts will
be here tomorrow morning.

Truck Shop

002 (2).JPG 003.JPG

Truck Shop

I'm going to stop posting this thread on this forum because I have one going on Heavy Truck Forum under towing. Less time spent for me and less clutter over here. Thanks for looking.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I'm going to stop posting this thread on this forum because I have one going on Heavy Truck Forum under towing. Less time spent for me and less clutter over here. Thanks for looking.

Truck Shop
Well... One last post. somewhere around the time you mount the lift, give me a call. I'd like to come down on a Saturday and see this project. Might even buy the coffee this time.

Truck Shop

Well... One last post. somewhere around the time you mount the lift, give me a call. I'd like to come down on a Saturday and see this project. Might even buy the coffee this time.

That sounds good, I will make a fresh pot of shop coffee for you.:eek:

Truck Shop

003 (2).JPG 001 (3).JPG 004.JPG 001 (4).JPG

crane operator

I did have a old boy tell me "real wreckers aren't bought, they're built"

It looks great truckshop. I take it the uprights/ main pivot posts are from Zacklift, and you made the rest, or did you have to fab the pivot's too?

Truck Shop

I did have a old boy tell me "real wreckers aren't bought, they're built"

It looks great truckshop. I take it the uprights/ main pivot posts are from Zacklift, and you made the rest, or did you have to fab the pivot's too?

Those upper mounts are part of the Zacklift package. They built them that way so you can mount any poundage Zacklift, 25K, 35K or the 45K one mount
fits all. Except you better build it their way or you will have a mess.

Truck Shop

Truck Shop

It's not really a drawing just a rough idea of how to build the sub-frame. Because of the different wheel bases and rear suspension possibilities it's up to you
to figure out what is needed. Note I had to rebuild the rear axle air bag crossmember and position it forward and down at the bottom of the rear housing.
So the lift will tilt below ground level. Every inch you can position the mount forward gives you more weight on the steer axle. The sub-frame is 4"x 6"x 3/8"x 18'6"

Truck Shop

Reactions: DB2

crane operator

Will it have extra tall axle stops or blocks for winching, or do you plan to just dump the bags? I see you've got park cans on both axles already, I've seen some guys put in a valve to apply air pressure instead of relying on the springs to hold the brakes. You probably won't have stiff legs will you? You're not planning on much winching, just swapping mostly? Front weight, or just relying on wheelbase?

Sorry for all the questions, I've got a old wrecker bed/ winch frame, in the back yard- I got most of the stuff gathered up a year or two ago to mount it, to a truck I don't have. Then I got sidetracked and have never gotten back to it. Too many irons in the fire I guess. (I think its more that if I get it put together- I'm going to have to go use it on a dark and rainy night, and I really don't want that:)).

Truck Shop

It will possibly get a 30,000 lb drag winch down the road and some stiff legs, that's the reason for the extra after frame. I like getting up in the middle of the night especially
in bad weather, not many people on the highway. I've always liked driving in bad weather it makes it more interesting. When I get this done a trip from Walla Walla where I
live to Grand Forks N.D or Loveland Colorado will be a nice break from the shop.

Truck Shop

Shimmy1

When I get this done a trip from Walla Walla where I
live to Grand Forks N.D or Loveland Colorado will be a nice break from the shop.

Truck Shop
When you make that trip to Grand Forks, the short way from 94 goes right past our shop. I'd have a pot of coffee ready for the inspection c'mon.