• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

You all ready for a early potentially mean winter?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been watching our weather beyond that of Harvey, we are experiencing the mildest August and early September I can remember in over 50+ years of what memory I have left. I have not managed to kill all the older brain cells but working on it!

We have had 26 of 31 days in August thickly fogged, to which an older old timer noted for every foggy day in Aug. there will be a corresponding snow in winter. They are calling for Frost in MI, MN, WI and N IL/IA by Sept 7. Nut trees(walnut/hickory) are not very fruited out this time and our persimmons are sparse at best. Are we in for it this winter? Are you all ready for it if is bad?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It has been over 90 degrees here for weeks it seems like. Normally it seems like the warm and cold spots in the country kind of move west to east but sometimes they get "stuck" and then it stays hot here and cool there or vice versa.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We're due for a rough winter. We've gotten off easy the last couple. I wouldn't mind a wet one. Of course you'll see snow and we'll see ice most likely. I'm prepared for any of it :)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I never heard of the "fog" lore.. but it makes sense.. Our winters consist of about 2-3 weeks of 36* temps & wind off the water..
THIS COMING WEEK its in the LOW 80's.. even some 70's w/ 60's for humidity.. & no wind.!!!
Its gonna be beautiful !! If I had any workin boats, I'd be taking the week off..

Hobbytime

thats the ole wives tale..a wet august means a wet winter..whatever that means..hopefully nice fluffy snow and not ice storm after ice storm...

Crummy

Can't get here soon enough for me. Record number of days here with no rain, 90*+ for the next 3 days, fires & smoke everywhere. Too hot in the shop & too hot outside for someone like me that has a low heat/dry tolerance. I hope it turns soon, I'm ready. After running lowboy OTR mostly northwestern/central states the last 5 years winter staying local and not in the truck will be a breeze.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
Don't think there will be much snow down by us, just a hurricane headed out way...............

Rick

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
Bring it on. We go from one extreme to the other overnight. So we pretty much prepare for it all. Snow, ice , hail storms & heat stroke LOL

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Might be a real winter coming. I hope so. We need lots of ice for an extended ice fishing season.:):) Our apple trees are ripe a month early this year. A few of the varieties are already picked or past prime. I don't know if mother nature is warning us of an early winter, or if it was because of our little 100 mile circle of a super wet summer. Totally dry beyond that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
We saw our Hickory and Walnut crops come in way early, likely a month when they started dropping. In a little overlooked region of IL between the IL and MS rivers is a orchard grove heaven at Hardin IL all the fruit crops there are already in and done.

hvy 1ton

DMiller, i think we're gonna have a rough winter if for no other reason than the high pressure that's been making all this nice weather also caused harvey to be so severe. Luck/kama/whatever is gonna turn on that one.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Oh, how I miss the leaves turning.. all we have here are Pine & Magnolia.. the pine stays green & the Mags turn baby sh*t brown & fall..
Just got an email from my brother on the PA/NY border.. says he woke to 37* this morning..
All the doors & windows remained open here lastnite.. wonderful sleeping weather, for sure..

hosspuller

We're ready with the firewood supply for the Pacific Energy fireplace insert. The heat pump takes a winter vacation unless we're gone during a freeze.

wood n Titus.JPG

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
We're ready with the firewood supply for the Pacific Energy fireplace insert. The heat pump takes a winter vacation unless we're gone during a freeze.

View attachment 172893
That's about one good filling in my stove and will last about a day and 1/2 or a few hours more at -20. Maybe I should consider becoming a snow bird. Awe, guess not. I like the ice fishing to much. My wood pile looks like a paper mill when I'm stocked up.:):)

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
Looks like about a day and a half for my pot belly stove in that bucket, but I'll burn it for ya. I go thru what looks like more wood because I run slabs and scraps form the sawmill, not much good heart wood but its nice and dry and free and I don't have to fell the trees.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's about one good filling in my stove and will last about a day and 1/2 or a few hours more at -20. Maybe I should consider becoming a snow bird. Awe, guess not. I like the ice fishing to much. My wood pile looks like a paper mill when I'm stocked up.:):)

There's always room here in Oklahoma if you wanna try it out :). You can fish in the winter and won't have to drill a hole!