• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Working with an off road trailer

materthegreater

There are many times when I could use a trailer in conjunction with my excavator to save tracking time and/or having another machine on site. Many times I use my dump truck to shuttle material around a site but sometimes there isn't enough space or firm enough ground. I found this video and it seems like a very good setup for tight quarters. Does anyone have a trailer like this?

InsleyGuy

I welded a reciever hitch to the blade on my KX 121 and use it to pull my 6x10 tandem hyd dump trailer. It's the same width as the ex, and I can use my truck to pick up material at the supply yard, hook to the ex and drag it into the site. I use it to take trench spoils out and bring drain stone back in to a riding arena without making a big mess.

materthegreater

I have a hitch on my blade also. I don't think a regular on road dump trailer would be rugged enough for working out of with an excavator, nor would it have enough flotation. I've gotten my dump truck stuck several times trying to use it around a job site. Simple, rugged and big balloon tires would be the key characteristics.

1000005785.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I welded in a receiver tube through a push blade like that on a midi around here last year but never knew what it was for. This now makes sense to me.

InsleyGuy

Your hitch looks exactly like mine. I don't have a dump truck but the trailer worked out perfectly for what I had to do. I agree my trailer would not last long term. What you describe would be ideal, and not too hard to build.