• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

winch help

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
I have a PA56 winch on a d6H new to me.

I am doing my post purchase change everything fluid and filter change.

I pulled the suction strainer out of the winch and it was positively covered with fine shards of metal. No big chunks. Just fine, or not so fine, shards of metal. The strainer is built with many magnets, and a cage that creates a dam to keep heavy metal filings out of the screen.

I suspect that the metal scrappings is from the brake system. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Ken

watglen

Occupation
Thanks stumpjumper, I was going to google that this morning. You beat me to it.

Paccar also has a really helpful tech support line.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As you said, no large pieces. Now I guess the $64,000 question is how long has it been since that screen was last removed..? If you have no idea then I would suggest to remove the screen maybe once a month going forward (don't clean it) and take good closeup photos each time so that you can compare the way the metal is building up on the screen and the hours that the machine has operated in each case.

watglen

Occupation
So based on how it operated and reading the above manual, I was thinking that the problem might be a hydraulic leak somewhere, causing the brake to fail to fully release properly. It took a lot of revs to get the winch to turn. Seemed to turn ok, just sluggish. Every once in a while you could tell it was turning against the brake.

So I cleaned everything up, dumped some of the old oil back in to prime the pump, and started the tractor. Sure enough, a massive pouring oil leak between the spin on oil filter and the control valve. There is a ball check in that line, and it looks like its been removed before. The check ball is missing. Some how, the valve body has a huge port to atmosphere, and it looks like the full pump flow is gushing out of it.

Anyway, suffice to say, there is no way the hydraulics could have the pressure needed to function properly.

Waiting on a new check valve now...
I will watch that screen though.... We pulled some of the side plates off to expose bearings and teeth. They all look good.

Gotta find new control cables for that unit though. CAT wants $1500 for the three cables.....OUCH!

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
How many hours on the tractor and did it come from a high winch use application? aka logging, oil field, pipelines, etc. I have had winches on the rears of my deere 550 and ih 15c and they were basically adjustable tow cables for trucks, but in the oil fields and pipelines the winch might be 85% or more of the tractors total time.

newguy2k3

Occupation
Cat field tech
IIRC on those winches the full pump flow will gush out of the dump port on the control valve when in neutral. When you move a lever to reel in or out the oil will stop coming from the dump port and pressurize the forward or reverse clutch and then start releasing the brake.

watglen

Occupation
IIRC on those winches the full pump flow will gush out of the dump port on the control valve when in neutral. When you move a lever to reel in or out the oil will stop coming from the dump port and pressurize the forward or reverse clutch and then start releasing the brake.

That does make sense and the control valve might be fine for all i know. But you can see straight through the valve. Imagine a ball check valve with the ball removed. Its just a straight through hollow fitting. Thats what I have here. I can't imagine you should be able to see through it. I have to think there is something missing inside.

And of course the the price for a new one is $700. It would be nice to know mine is pooched before I go ahead and order a new one, and find out mine is ok.

??????