• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why track loaders?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm only trying to understand. I feel that track loaders were common at an earlier day than articulated wheel loaders. Why? A wheel loader is faster, costs less to operate. What factors led to the development of track loaders in the first place.

There's a fellow here with Backhoe, and Drott bucket on a 410 Deere. That makes perfect sense. A single machine able to do a multitude of tasks. Far more common were GP buckets on tractors primarily designed as bulldozers.

The only one I ever tried was an old IH 175. Walking up the hill from where it was parked seemed to take an eternity. The three grouser shoes seemed not to have enough traction to easily fill the bucket even though it was sand. The machine was old, and tired, but even in new condition they've got to be much slower than wheel loaders.

Charlie Abbott of Wilton CT started his business about 1951. Over the years he must have owned 20. I believe all he ever had were IH track loaders. Mostly 175 size. He swore by them.

Willie

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Track loaders are much better at floating in softer ground, they had great lifting ability and were able to carry material. I think they would be in the backhoe category, jack of all trades, master of none?

ship660

A lot seems to be the area you live in. We have a lot of clay here and a wheel loader digs deep ruts in the ground when trying to dig. Also can be hard for wheel loader to dig in the clay. Most guys around here use them to dig basements and when push comes to shove the track loader will out perform the wheel loader.

sealark37

Occupation
Retired pilot, old equipment mechanic
The track loader and the rubber-tired loader came along in the post WWII period to enable the lifting and dumping of material that had been dug out of the site. The track-type has the advantage in the severe, rocky site where the carry is short. The wheel tractor is better where the footing is stable, and the haul is longer. The track has been adapted to be more flexible with LGP tracks, four-in-one buckets, and sealed and lubed track assemblies. The wheelies have become MUCH larger, with lots of power, and armored tires that can defeat most anti-tank mines. The track hoe has relegated the track loader to a minority role in construction. Most large job sites will have a track loader or two around for the odd job. The smaller contractor uses the track vehicle as a step up in capability from the skid steer. The larger rubber tire loaders live in quarries and material storage yards, as well as metal salvage operations because they are cheaper to operate on flat ground where the travel distance is greater. For the small operator, or farmer, the track loader makes a highly versatile machine that can do a lot of jobs in short order. Just my view. Regards, Clark

gtermini

It seems to be a regional thing as well. Here in PNW it is rare to even see a track loader, let alone one working. I don't think I've ever seen a rear engine cat in person in the PDX metro area. Everyone uses wheel loaders, skid steers/ctl's, and plain dozers. We don't have much of the sticky clay mud here though. Farmers are the only operators I know that own them, and those are all old beaters. It's interesting how a stable machine in one area isn't even used in another.

Greyson

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Around here all you see is old beater track loaders also, 350 & 450's, nothing big. Probably an even split Deere/Case.

The only place I've seen newer larger machines is demo jobs on old GM plants.

Ed

hvy 1ton

Track loader usage is very regional. My little corner of the world and an area around PA are two of the high usage areas. I've been told the PA, MD, WV, ect region represents the majority of the new track loader market in the US.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
A track loader is absolutely the best machine money can buy for a clearing and moving dirt type machine. It is not designed to dig a trench but guys have done it, just turns out to be 8' wide... I can clear trees and stumps and make most house sites faster than an excavator of any size has even thought about. I do need the tree whole to use levarage and gravity to drop them.. might cost more to replace my bottom but I am king of clearing... I would guess I have 3 times pushing power over wheels and I can put the power to the ground even spinning my tracks with lgp. I can push debris piles the size of small houses 100's of feet away, let's see an excavator or a rubbered tire loader do that...

I can fill the role of a dozer and dump truck, loader and skid steer. All in one machine. I can drop tree's faster than 5 men can cut up, I can create debris pipes and wind rows like no other...

If you run a small crew, as in one dude and some iron, I am the main tool to break ground. The Skids and small excavators can finish up..

I can work in wet conditions long after wheels get stuck and I can climb grades that will make you look for an ol shi* handle...

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Here in Washington state excavators do all the clearing and grubbing. The only place for a track loader is in a steel mill handling hot slag and now they use wheel loaders for that. I've never seen a track loader that can clear ground as fast as an excavator with a hydraulic thumb. The other added issue is that brush cannot be burned in this area any more so big grinders are used. No way can a track loader be used to feed a grinder. It sounds like you can make a good living with the track loader in Georgia. More power to you but you better keep an eye out if your competition figures out how to really use an excavator.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Georgia Iron, I've been in your neighborhood before, damn straight a track loader is best for your terrain and soil conditions.

Here, it's pretty flat and open. Excavators and dozers are the norm.

Ed

Delmer

Wheel loaders and track loaders aren't the competition. Wheel loaders are king where ever they can operate. Track loaders have been pushed out by skid steers on the small side and excavators that are cheaper than they used to be compared to track loaders. Just like backhoes are being pushed out by mini excavators. A tractor based loader backhoe used to be common for a lot of jobs. Now mini excavators are less expensive than they used to be compared to backhoes. And improved more than backhoes have over the machines from decades ago.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I guess I've never thought that places where clay soil is the norm even exist. Here in the Green Mountains we have organic soil, Rock, more rock, or gravel
We do have a bit of swamp land, but no one is allowed to disturb that.

Track loaders seem slow by my comparison to the cable shovels that loaded before them. I cringe at how few cycles of scoop, turn, and load an undercarriage is good for. I'd like to see a track loader operated by an expert. How fast can they work?

Willie

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Just after I started operating excavators in the mid 70's it worked out that loading trucks with a 20ton excavator was half the cost'per cubic yard,of a wheel loader ( FA 645) or a track loader 955. There's not to much an excavator can't do inclueding the job in the above video.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I have seen track loaders run like a bobcat by a select few. Not too many around here anymore since the hydraulic excavator came about but the new track skid loaders are the ticket!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Now this is a topic I know a few things about.:D

I'm a track loader guy and wouldn't know what to do without one. Our ground here in Central AL is some of the most diverse in the country since it's where the Appalachian Mountains meet the Coastal Plain. We have rock, chert, clay, sand, muck and occasionally run into coal seams. The soil conditions can change dramatically 1/2 mile away.

However track loaders are almost non-existent in south Alabama and the gulf coast due to the sand content of the soil which eats the U/C. Wheel loaders are king in that part of the state.

That being said a track loader is a very handy machine to have for the small commercial site projects we perform. Often it's the first machine on site and the last to leave. I use it for clearing/grubbing, demolition, stripping topsoil, bulk cut/fill and fine grading. Actually I prefer to use the loader to grade pads and parking lots.

Pairing a track loader with an excavator is a lethal clearing combination with our soil conditions. The pair also works well for demolition. Demo'd a metal building and parking lot in August. Used the hoe to tear off the exterior walls, CTL to gut the interior and pulled the roof off in one piece with the hoe pulling and the loader pushing. Once the hoe tore the thickened slab edge around the perimeter the loader tore out the slab. Same with the parking lot - put the hoe removing curb and gutter and let the loader take out the asphalt.

Some pictures and commentary from that demo - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?27942-A-few-projects-I-have-done-recently/page33

I track loader can't be beat in it's versatility in the right conditions.

td25c

No track loader in my fleet but use the tracked skid steer much in the same way moving or loading material around .

Loader is sure handy for carting dirt a little distance to spread on a job site that's to close to justify loading a dump truck to haul .

We just finished up a job like that where we were working on a 4 acre home site . Dug out piled with the backhoe attachment then put the bucket on & cart off and spread .

If I ever do get a track loader might go with a Deere 555G with hoe like this unit . Always liked the versatility of those rig's .

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/6377562/2000-deere-555g-tc

Dickjr.

td25c , think of this , it is like a rubber track CTL that has more power and durability. We do have some guys here that dig basements with them. They replace tires and or rubber tracks about every 600 to 900 hours.

JD8875

My 953 is often used like a great big ctl. It can handle most dozer tasks of a similar sized dozer, it is more efficient at clearing as I can reach up and use the tree for leverage, it loads my single axle dump truck to running over in two good buckets, a tandem in about five, it can cut, fill, and grade. When the ground is slimy its steel grousers bite through and keep working. It's much the same as the skid steer/ctl differences. A ctl will do a skid steers job, but some days a skid steer just won't keep going in the same conditions. The only disadvantage my track loader has is it's allergy to concrete and asphalt.

John