• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Why don’t Americans GET high reach excavators…?

MattW

There's a company here in Indy (Denney Excavation & Demolition) that has a Cat 345 hi-reach. The first time I saw it used was after a 3 story apartment bldg burnt. They just recently finished up a vacant hospital demo with it.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
One of the key reasons that UK and European contractors achieve such high recycling and reuse rates is because materials are sorted and segregated as part of the controlled deconstruction process. I am sure that even the most dedicated explosives man will agree that sorting and separating materials is easier with the structure standing up than it is with it reduced to a pile of rubble.

And thanks once again for all your input and contributions.

Even if i'm from tiny Finland, i have to stand up and fight for the yanks! Mark, no offence, you probably already heard alot... But recycling and working safety has nothing to do with HRD excavators, it's all about choosing the right equipment for the job!
So why do they use to small or hazardous metods with ridiculous recycling % at demolition jobs? Price, money, cash, there is no difference if you are in Japan, UK, Finland or USA, if there is no €/£ or $ involved in the job, then the job will be done without skills and the waste will probably just "dissapere" somewhere...

As long as there is no limitations on who can offer and do demolition jobs, then this business will be a "playground" for big boys, with big enough tools or to small ones.

Also when you say that implosion demolition is bad recycling, so how does it make a difference if all plaster, plastic, wood etc is removed before the blast? Then you have a pile of pulverized concrete ready for the recycling crusher.

In the end everything has to do about money, if you get paid for taking a brick building apart with a hammer and chisel, then you can resell the bricks. In most cases the guy paying for the job just cares about how much it costs and that the trash is taken away.

i think Mr. London should go outside Youtube to the real world and see how things are done, then after that start writing again ;)

robin yates uk

during the first Gulf War my eldest son was posted there. I put up a flagpole in my front garden with a big Union Jack.I was told by phone from the Local Council that I was not allowed to do this, so I said "please come round and talk to me and the local Press", I never heard another thing about it. The flag was still flying long after the war had finished

lonkinggroup

I feel same with the thread author. High-end excavators of course are better to the opertor and the environment. But the high prices have set many people back. While the low-end products are flooding in the market.

tctractors

In the U.K. and Europe the Demolition Co's work to a very high standard with the removal of a building taking on at some points an "Art Form" with top rigs nipping away at the Doomed structure, this is often in very tight quarters with Lorry movements and dust being strictly controlled, lots of the building material is used on site again within the new build program saving on Lorry movements, the age of the buildings is not really an issue as the old buildings are often of Heritage importance leaving the newer builds the common target being replaced with fancy shaped Icons of our time, the Marvel to me is how Demolition is done in the USA on high rise by it would seem people who hire a self drive? the video of the excavator stood under a massive lump up in the air is untrue, the other people on Site should have stopped this Lunatic Driver instantly?? other Video's of walls falling the wrong way just missing lines of cars on the road is reckless beyond words, the Lampson Big Blue Fiasco was a stunner of "Idiots on Board" that make the Gene Pool for brains look thin, things happen fast in dealing with machinery and Construction up or down as we do still suffer very nasty Dramas that sadly cost Human Life but as long as we have people doing "Demo" like in the Video on page 2? of this thread (That cannot Happen in the UK.) the industry will look a Joke.
tctractors

p.s. Thumbs are starting to catch on slowly in the U.K. so we are Onward and Upwards

tctractors

In the past I have been involved with High Rise Demo' that due to location was topped down using small excavators and skid steer machines that fed all the rubble down to the ground level via the lift shafts, the ground level of these shafts being floored out with heavy steel plate, Track Shovels like 951's being used to dig out the shaft bottoms, often the floor levels needed Acrow Props placed in vertical lines to add extra support to the floor loadings, these being removed as the downward level progressed so you always had them under the floor you stood on, at about the 4th or 5th floor level larger excavators would smash into the building using the rubble to climb up into the top of the now much lower building and soon reduce these last few levels to something you can step off.
To see redundant Bridge decks hacked down and removed off site in super fast time in the U.K. is a not un-common sight, there is plenty of Video footage of this type of work being done showing clearly that someone know's what they are about, this is just Hoisting the Flag on the U.K.
tctractors
p.s. its the "Flag Pole" that usually needs a Planning Permit not the Flag itself, although an I.S. Flag might be pushing your luck some.