• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Who is seeing youth entering our world?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
My Dad started off after WWII as a aircraft mechanic, had to know it all and be body man, serviceman, engine tech as well pilot the machines after repairs to validate it worked. Tough days in the 50's Aviation was changing much as our business has changed and continues to. Jets from piston power, pressurized cabins, high altitude flight and loads of electronic stuff, he got to where could not cope so entered the aircraft building business, stayed there until age 67. Passed at 82, still remember and refer to the simple basics lessons he taught me.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I certainly think that is a big part of it. The other thing (thinking more mechanic work than operating here) is that because cars and trucks are more complicated, kids don't grow up helping Dad work on the car, or fixing up their own old car when they get old enough to drive. And I don't know about where you live, but around here, there's less places to ride dirt bikes and quads, that's how a lot of guys got their first wrenching experience, overhauling a little 125 2-stroke dirt bike engine.

I agree and then there are less farm kids than ever turning out that grew up wrenching. The big farms and new equipment is in the same boat as the new cars.

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
The biggest thing that I see running people off is the overhead. I have had a runnig payment on the tool truck since I was 14-15. It is a huge investment having over $100k in tools to make $18-25 an hour, in my area the benefits at the dealers are almost nill unless you are at one of the few union dealers left around. Seems kind of silly to spend that much when you could have a stress free job that is easy on the body for about the same pay.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
When I gave up wrenching for real work I packed my tools home. Had spent something like $55k from 1975 to 1996 just on new stuff. The tools in my shed are out of date for the most part, just sold a load of not been used in fifteen years stuff to Junkyard a few weeks back, hope he gets some use of them.

I have a working life span worth of tools sitting in my shop, have no intention of losing many more of them as I can still use the remainder on my own old junkers, feel so sorry for the new kids trying to get tooling to make production wages, seems you never get caught up with either. Used to be all the shops supplied the specialty tools, those days are now gone where if you or your bud do not have them someone that does gets the work and you sit.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I'm with you 92U.. my 1st set of tools came from harbor frt in the EARLY 80's & I still have most ofum.. lol
Granted. 90% are cut-up or bent for special jobs but I STILL hav'em..
Moved over to Crapsman after that, then on to afew Strap-ons.. the BIGGEST purchase from the truck came when I needed some torque wrenches.. 250.00 for a 3/8 flex head & 350.00 for a 1/2"..other than that, they can keep their 35.00 10mm box end wrench..
Sorry got off topic.. lets get back to it..
The younger kids wont stand up for them selves either...
1 of the older guys at work[62yo] thought it would be "funny" to hose the 19yo down today.!!!
The poor kid was soaked to his sox w/ water.. He yelled FU, I don't need this *hit.. & hit the time clock..
I think he quit?? I wouldn't blame him if he did.. I felt sorry for the kid..
The ahole that did it is on "workmans comp" so they cant fire him..
NOW IF IT WERE MY PLACE.. that would be MY REASON, TO FIRE HIM & get him off my WC..!!!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The problem with some youngsters is they haven't learned all those fun little ways of retribution. My oldest daughter was asking me for senior prank ideas when she graduated a few months ago. After I rattled off a dozen or so she stopped me and asked how I knew all of them haha.

The pranks at work got so bad the owner stopped them all.....

Knepptune

Thats where tapping a grease zerk into the back of the guys toolbox and pumping a full barrel of grease into it would work.

Untill schools quit brainwashing kids into the idea that anything less then college is a failure, the trades are going to suffer. I do think mechanics tend to be a tad undervalued in general, but I've never been around a good mechanic that didnt have all work he wanted.

As the shortage grows the wages should go up. At least thats my hope. Lol

Ruger_556

I'm 23 working as a farm mechanic, I have an intern in the shop from the local college who is 18 I think and shows good promise. There are young people going into the field at least around here. Quality of the people is more of an issue than quantity it seems to me, equipment has gotten more complex over the years as well and that doesn't help the issue.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the pay as others in the thread have been, I make good money and there are shops around that pay more. Anyone making only $18 an hour is doing so by choice, if you're willing to put the effort into continuing your education you can do pretty well for yourself. May be different in other areas of the country...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'm with you 92U.. my 1st set of tools came from harbor frt in the EARLY 80's & I still have most ofum.. lol
Granted. 90% are cut-up or bent for special jobs but I STILL hav'em..
Moved over to Crapsman after that, then on to afew Strap-ons.. the BIGGEST purchase from the truck came when I needed some torque wrenches.. 250.00 for a 3/8 flex head & 350.00 for a 1/2"..other than that, they can keep their 35.00 10mm box end wrench..
Sorry got off topic.. lets get back to it..
The younger kids wont stand up for them selves either...
1 of the older guys at work[62yo] thought it would be "funny" to hose the 19yo down today.!!!
The poor kid was soaked to his sox w/ water.. He yelled FU, I don't need this *hit.. & hit the time clock..
I think he quit?? I wouldn't blame him if he did.. I felt sorry for the kid..
The ahole that did it is on "workmans comp" so they cant fire him..
NOW IF IT WERE MY PLACE.. that would be MY REASON, TO FIRE HIM & get him off my WC..!!!

You can fire someone on workers comps for (super) just reason and I think that guy crossed the line. There is probably a lawsuit brewing if the kid has friends in the place that witnessed it. Of course the employer takes the hit instead of the a**hole.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Quality of the people is more of an issue than quantity it seems to me, equipment has gotten more complex over the years as well and that doesn't help the issue.

You got that right. Gone are the days when you could have a good engine or hydraulic mechanical guy that did not know about electronics and keep him to his corner with plenty of work. Now every mechanic has to know electronics quite well in order to do his job well and he also has to know the real mechanical stuff and even that stuff is more complicated than it used to be.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the pay as others in the thread have been, I make good money and there are shops around that pay more. Anyone making only $18 an hour is doing so by choice, if you're willing to put the effort into continuing your education you can do pretty well for yourself. May be different in other areas of the country...

"They" say no one can take advantage of you without your permission. So get out, start your own thing, find a better employer in a niche market, make yourself more marketable by acquiring some skills and certs.

twr

I'm a small company have two large one small field trucks have a full machine shop newest lathe was prolly built in the 60's I have some good young guys under 25 but they we're hard to find, but when I was kid I would have loved to work in a shop like this. On the other hand down in crusher floor changing a busted link on excavator 100+ and the link before and after looks about the same, I just tell them you got to love it or you will hate it besides that you should have been a doctor.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I couldn't ever be a doctor. I can hardly even handle taking a first aid course without getting queazy lol.

Reactions: JPV

Twisted

I'm working on this guy...

photo.php

StanRUS

I don't mind other people's blood. It's the sight of mine that affects me.....
Oh I was drafted into Army Jun66...drawing blood, the big dudes passing out. Seen enough blood, guts and brain matter, ain't fun!
My WW2 vet dad taught vets mechanics~machining paid by Vet Admin. 1 Redheaded guy turned out to be a good automotive mechanic with 1 ARM!

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
Part of the problem is we don't have farm / ranch kids anymore as the farms & ranches have gotten bigger & fewer.

Another issue is that we won't let anyone work before they're 18. You know how many of my contractor customers grew up working with their dad or family business as kids? Lots. Take a 15 year old on a job site now and you'll probably end up in prison.

You can't teach an 18 year old hard work and dedication.

I'm fighting this uphill battle with a 12 & 13 year old right now. The lack of ambition is frustrating. We've done some things I would have never done if it wasn't for wanting to teach kids how to work. I've told them they're buying their own cars. I've told them they'll be walking at 16. But getting them to mow laws or power wash for easy money isn't working.

I've got a customer who's wanting to turn over the reigns to his 32 year old son for a couple years now. He's taken almost no responsibility for anything. And there are several others that way as well.