• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which laser

hobby10k

I'm trying to decide which dual plane laser level to buy. Picking one or the other up today or tomorrow. The two I'm deciding between are topcon RL-H2sa and a spectra GL422. Both are dual plane, both have similar specs. The spectra has a remote while the topcon does not. The spectra seems to be barely used. Both are similar in price too. So between the two units what do you guys feel is the better laser?

Randy88

I've got a GL422, nice laser in its price range, not my favorite one, but good enough for most jobs, I mainly use it for survey work and simple jobs that don't require high accuracy. The only complaint I have with it so far is you can't charge it off of 110, only 12 volt, which to me is a pain to deal with, I charge everything in the house overnight where its always warm and I can monitor if they are charged or not. That laser also won't take a charge if its cold, it has to be warm enough BEFORE it'll charge, which means I have to take it into the shop in cold weather, let it warm up a few hours and then go back out and start to charge it.

It has a remote, which isn't a long distance remote, but helps somewhat, it also has shutter shut down, which is really nice for others who work the same area I'm using it, we just shut off the three sides I'm not using or needing, that can also be done from the remote.

Its not the top of the line spectra, but good enough for most things, I basically got mine for a back up laser if my other one's go down and need repair.

hobby10k

How do you feel the topcon would compare? The topcon is an older model, but a higher grade of laser I think. I've used that same model of topcon before on jobs, and it got the job done, but I didn't really pay much attention to it. Now that I'm buying one or the other I'm doing a little research. Thanks for the input guys.