• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which is better, v blade or KG?

rezod1

let the opinions fly, looking at cutting a timber logged 8 years ago, like to use D65-15 as I have that tractor. Will it perform? Heavy enough? Read that D7Es and Gs worked well but 8H and K are more weight for better grunt and the D9 is unstoppable. Really not looking to buy a bigger machine if the 65 will perform well enough to shear so many acres a day. Which blade would give better performance at shearing acres?

td25c

I can't comment on the V plow as never used one . Several members on HEF have them & they might chime in with ideas & opinions .

We have used the Rome K/G blade for years on clearing projects & like it .
It's my favorite clearing tool . Hack trees & bust stumps then pile them .http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2537&viewfull=1#post2537
Swap it out for the dirt blade when finished cutting . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2647&viewfull=1#post2647

sheepfoot

Been around both and each works well but i like the KG-blade. Your 65 will weight in around 3-4 tons over a D7. The big thing is to have your push beams tight and straight. It takes a lot out of you and machine in a day working threw/busting up/ and putting them in a windrow. We ran D8H/D9G along with C-6 82-30 82-40 82-50 way back then. Your soil and tree type will also be a factor while doing this. They will all come to a stop while pushing and you will end up F/R several times on some (many) over your site. You got your job cut out for you.

69Camaro

I've had both on a D7G, works ok on small timer, possibly on soft wood too but I've only been in hardwood with one. From what I've seen a straight blade is faster (especially on stumps) and doesn't leave any more mess on that size tractor. Unless you have a huge amount of acreage, I would suggest saving your money and using what you already have. If you are set on getting one for your tractor I would prefer a KG, but you will be doing more plowing with it than shearing. An 8 or 9, preferably a 9 is much more suited for shearing, and capable of using the blade as it was designed to be used. A 7 sized dozer is too small for shearing in my opinion.

Last edited: