• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Which excavators are made by the same people??

drag1line

Boy are you going to make someone mad..Not me.
Case currently is owned by the Italians from Fiat.
Terex is a separate company.
You really need a score card to keep all this in mind and it changes almost every week.
Example..Bobcat and Doosan...Did not see that coming!

sanyguy

Occupation
excavator operator
sany excavator

theres a excavator called sany there buying the same parts were Komatsu buys from and there prices are way more competive in the market for large excavtors 200/420 look in to them

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I'm thought I read somewhere a while back that Terex excavators (not the big O&K mining shovels) were Samsungs? Or was it their loaders.:confused:

drag1line

Terex, large are Daewoo..oh..sorry...now Doosan...small are Schaff, which they own...Samsung are Volvo, who own them.
Any one got a cheat sheet on all this?

talus

If you look at case,nh,kobelco and yanmar mini ex they look identical other than paint. Are they made by kobelco or yanmar? They seem to spec out a little different also. Why is this? :beatsme

farm_boy

What about all those Chinese excavators?? Are they all the same copy of old Cat technology or are they actually using designs of their own?

drag1line

No, they do not copy Cat, but like any excavator design engineering department, you always look at your competition. Cat excavators are not the most technically advanced machine or the best spec's. The current Cat is made and designed by their joint venture company Shin Caterpillar Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi excavator comes from Yumbo, Kobelco comes from Poclain, Komatsu is from Bucyrus Erie, Hyundai is from Kobelco and so on. So you will see influences of many earlier machines if you look. On the loader side, LiuGong was actually the OEM manufacturer for Cat for around 8 years, but not the excavator.
Most Chinese excavators use Kawasaki, Hi Dash, Kayaba, and similar components, same as most of the other machines in the world. Most have Cummins engines that are made in the US for emmission reasons. Note, the local Chinese specification will use a local engine similar to Wei Chai.
The cost savings is in the less expensive steel and labor to produce them.
Just keeps getting more complex to figure out who is in bed with whom.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Terex, large are Daewoo..oh..sorry...now Doosan...small are Schaff, which they own...Samsung are Volvo, who own them.
Any one got a cheat sheet on all this?

I stand to be corrected BUT I think you are mixing DEMAG up with DOOSAN

Big Terex mining exc I believe are original Demag.

drag1line

Terex buys their excavators and wheel loaders below 40 ton from Doosan or formarly Daewoo. The mining division of Terex OWNS the mining division of what was O&K above 60 ton. 100% positive. The 40 ton and down part of O&K and the construction machinery division was bought by Fiat and now closed down.
Good Point on Demag..forgot about them...They are aligned in some fasion with Komatsu.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Terex buys their excavators and wheel loaders below 40 ton from Doosan or formarly Daewoo. The mining division of Terex OWNS the mining division of what was O&K above 60 ton. 100% positive. The 40 ton and down part of O&K and the construction machinery division was bought by Fiat and now closed down.
Good Point on Demag..forgot about them...They are aligned in some fasion with Komatsu.

Komatsu bought out the mining equipment part of Demag.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Komatsu bought out the mining equipment part of Demag.

Yes you are quite right :notworthy I had my head stuck up my ......... well you know, read so much in this thread the head was still spinning and forgot to double declutch before engaging the keyboard :D

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Terex buys their excavators and wheel loaders below 40 ton from Doosan or formarly Daewoo. The mining division of Terex OWNS the mining division of what was O&K above 60 ton. 100% positive. .

Maybe in the States but Terex TC excavators machines ( Terex Crawler) in Europe above 12t ( I believe ) are a new build from the drawing board up as the original Atlas tracked machines that Terex took over were so outdated it was decided to start again from scratch. The smaller machines I believe are reborn Shaeff.

Occupation
Owner-Wenner Skid Loading & Sod Co. (Sod prep and
I've been researching many excavators lately and learned that most are made by just a few manufactures and then relabeled by others.

Hitachi and John Deere

I always thought that Komatsu made Deere excavators/payloaders considering their mechanical resemblence...?
maybe im wrong...

Occupation
Owner-Wenner Skid Loading & Sod Co. (Sod prep and
You really need a score card to keep all this in mind and it changes almost every week.
Example..Bobcat and Doosan...Did not see that coming!

I agree, Doosan "Daewoo" Bobcat... how f'd up is that??? Goodbye skidloader innovation time for a blast of mini-excavators:eek:. awesome point tho its not even worth trying to be up to speed with all of it... what a headache:pointhead

Elbonk

Occupation
Electrician
When you guys sort all this out it would make a a great FACT sheet if you do that kind of stuff on here. Thanks for all the info.. Good spot for a wannabe like me to read up!

Reuben

Kobelco, Case and New Holland are the same as far as excavators Kobelco is making them all. The older New Holland's were made with help from O&K at least that the service rep tells our dealership. New Holland and Case do have seperate backhoe lines that are not involved with anyone else.

case and linkbelt are sumitomas.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
dang now I have a headache. :) Not to worry though I will forget everything i read in a couple hours. :) Shoot I already forgot as i was typing this. :)

Darin