• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where to check if the machine has EPA?

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
We saw two 2008 CAT backhoe loaders, the owner says they were imported from USA, but we can't find EPA sticker on the engine.
How can I check if the machine has EPA? Is there a website to check or send email to some EPA service?

Thanks.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Typically, there would be an engine identification tag stuck to the frame directly beside the serial tag. Additionally, the engine ID tag itself should identify the level of emissions. Being 2008, i would think it would be high pressure rail fuel system and maybe EGR. No aftertreatment. Hope this helps.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Thank you, there is only the engine number on the machine serial number plate, nothing more. and I looked very closely over the engine, there is no tag.
Can I imported it back to USA?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5892.JPG
    IMG_5892.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5941.JPG
    IMG_5941.JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 22

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That big ACERT tag says it meets tier3 requirements. Should be good for reintroduction to the states. As long as you haven't tampered with anything, this includes air filtration , mufflers , no EGR removal and the biggest is no ECU reflash or reprogramming.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Is there anyway to confirm that before putting them on a vessel? I don't wanna get stuck at the customs.

2machine

Occupation
OWNER
Thank you sir, I know all CAT dealers and many staff here. But not many people are professionals. I will see if I can talk to anyone who actually knows.
Thanks.

lantraxco

CAT makes engines to ship all over the world and in some situations if the engines are made for export they will not have an EPA sticker on the valve cover and cannot be reimported to the US legally. Since the actual EPA stickers are not present you will either have to obtain replacement stickers from CAT if they existed originally, *OR* if you can get CAT to send you an official letter certifying that these engines are mechanically identical to their EPA engines and meet the EPA requirements at the time of manufacture that will work also. I was able to import some HINO engines in machines from Japan using this method a few years ago. Something to keep in mind, not only can customs refuse entry in which case you will have to pay return shipping, but even if customs allows the machine in, if EPA at some time in the future decides the engine is not legal, the importer of record is still on the hook for huge fines, possible jail time, and the engine or complete machine may be expelled from the country. See this EPA form for clarification:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-04/documents/3520-1.pdf