1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where is Case 580 Super L Rear Differential Part Number ?

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Blueacre, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Blueacre

Blueacre Member

I am going to change the fluid in the rear differential and planetary drives on my Case 580 Super L Backhoe. I found a reference that says the oil requirement is different depending on part number for the rear end on these machines - Axle Numbers 114367A2 and 114367A3 use MS1317 oil which is and 85W 140 with friction modifier. Axle numbers 114367A4 and later use MS1207 which is a HyTran Fluid.
    I looked around on the rear differential but haven't found the part number yet - does anyone know where it is located ?
    thanks
    Gary

2. alrman

alrman Senior Member

Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
    There should be a tag riveted to one of the axle housings - facing the front of the machine...... from memory.......

I should comment that I have never seen an L use anything but Hy-Trans + an axle oil additive #402982A2 , in the rear axle.
    Pulling the drain plug should soon tell you which you have?

Also, I have only ever run 85/140 oil in the hubs, regardless of what any book or anyone says.

3. Blueacre

Blueacre Member

I found the tag - I had figured it would be on the front of the housing as well but on mine it is on the rear of the housing on the left side when looking at the machine from the rear. About a 2 inch square metal tag.

Mine has a part number ending in A4 so the correct fluid per the manual is MS1207 which is Hy Tran.

For what its worth I have attached a photo of the pages from the operators manual that shows to use the Case MS1316 - 85/150 type oil in the older rear differentials.

I agree with your comment on using 85/140 in the rear planetary drives and plan to use it.

My manual also specifies MS1316 (which is 85/140) for the front differential - both in the center bowl and the planetarys .

Attached Files: