• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Where has everyone gone?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Seems like this place is a ghost town anymore.
5-6 years ago it was a wealth of information, photos and loaded with people. Did they all go to Facebook?
Contract Logger has been absent for years also......

Just reminiscing I guess.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well I'm still here! Just not as many questions on the equipment I have had the good or bad fortune to work on over the years!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Unless your a member the photos appear in a small size . There use to be a lot of non member broswser's . We have lost that following since the up grade . I use to have friends that were non members who actually helped me find pictures , I have lost that support . I lobbied for the pictures to be kept in a larger Format when the up grade was taking place , but my point was not taken into consideration . For old followers there's not much new . For any potential new followers who log on , if they can't make out the pictures to get their attention , they move on to another site .

catwelder

Occupation
welder
im not sure how to post pictures and I never feel like making a new post just to show pictures of whats going on

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I was hoping the forestry subforum on here would be relatively active when I joined. Not the case though unfortunately.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I agree...it has got very quiet here.Like Hank I check in a few times a day and try and do a weekly update on the Grizzly..
I think Camptramp pretty much nailed it as far as viewers go.If they cant see the pics there is no point looking and no point sending people here.
The current status/direction of logging and the fact that a lot of the big equipment is parked isn't helping things.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
I think after awhile you kind of run out of good pictures to post.And FB has many more places and people to post

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
I've been trying to not go back to Facebook. I left it 5 years ago and it has been great.

dirty4fun

I am not a logger but came out to Port Alberni three years ago, because I wanted to see the equipment. I look every morning and every night to see if there are pictures or stories. I will make it back next year and hope to spend some time on the island, and seeing the friends I made there. I also look on Facebook to a few of the logging sites. I sure wish I would of been on the island years ago, because I sure would of enjoyed driving a off highway logging truck, or most anything in the logging industry.

Rusty Grapple

Most everybody has gone to facebook for several reasons. For me it is the following reasons I am using facebook:
1. Real-time conversations and instant response times from the people you need information from
2. The ability to edit or add information as it comes to you in real time
3. Easier faster picture uploading and the ability to save pictures in large groups or albums, permanently for easier viewing
4. The ability to instantly share large PDF files and excel spreadsheets, etc (brochures, machinery lists, high resolution photographs, etc)

I still check in here 1 or 2 times a month but usually the new information I see here is information or pictures that I have already seen on facebook. The people I connected with on these forums are all on facebook and most are uploading all their pics and information there. I rarely log in here anymore but your question is a legitimate one and I felt I could offer and answer with one person's perspective (mine).

The threads here are cool, but now we have whole facebook pages dedicated to certain manufacturers or certain logging operations. A thread here becomes a whole page over there. The other issue is nearly everyone has a facebook page now and pics or info posted there reaches a much larger audience than we have here.

All that said- am I ready to give up on these forums? No. They have value and there is a wealth of great information here posted over the last 10 years or so.

The 2 are very different. There is value in both.

I hope that helps?

d9gdon

Hey I'm here. I went to Facebook once about 2 months ago and looked around a little. 2 days later, Facebook wouldn't let me back in without a phone number so I didn't wanna do that for a couple of days, then I gave in and gave them my phone number to get in. The next day they wanted a photo of me in order to log in. I decided that they didn't need a photo of me to verify my ID, so that's the last time that I'll ever be guilty of Facebooking. It's kind of like the Amazon owner, the owner of Facebook has political leanings totally opposite of mine so I don't care to patronize their websites anyway so that just gave me a reason to lead my life without them.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
I will never use facebook; too easy to hack into and access your personal information. And, most of what I have seen on facebook is rubbish. I like the "dedicated" forums like this one.

d9gdon; I don't care too much about political leanings, but I do care about selling anything and anyone for money. All these young upstarts like facebook, lyft, uber and the rest in my mind have no ethics. I am still of the age where your word meant something.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I simply don't put any personal info on my Facebook page other than my name.

I don't like Facebook groups because any idiot with a Facebook profile can join in and start spreading BS. At least on a site like this you have to actually put effort in to sign up. No Facebook portal here (and I hope this site never gets one).

JPV

I like this site even if it is a little quiet. I check in a couple times a day, if I had Facebook as well I would never get anything done! I have zero plans of ever going to Facebook but there is definitely some awesome pages there that are not a waste of time.