• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Whats with all the bad diesel fuel.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
Ive had rotten luck with diesel fuel this year... been switching stations to find better fuel and seem to still run into trouble with my equipment freezing.. Ive been using power service products for a couple years now and this year seems to be problem after problem... I do kinda over treat the fuel but not to much over...

any 1 else having trouble ? Lol sorry for the rant but I cant seem to find decent fuel this year

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Shouldn’t need a lot of conditioner if good winter fuel is used

Welder Dave

Which additive are you using? Just thinking if you're using emergency anti-gel and it's not needed could be causing a problem. Is the fuel going straight into a vehicle or equipment or into a slip tank first? Do you have a water drain that's froze up? Need some more info to try and figure out what's wrong.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
I buy about 80 gallons of fuel a week . I use white when I pump it into my transfer tank . As for the red stuff I use it only when I have gelled filters and lines.

SO yes It goes into my transfer tank and then into my machines. transfer tank is clean and I have a filter on the tank its self

Welder Dave

I'm not familiar with white and red additives but a transfer tank could get condensation in it. What type of filter is on the transfer tank? I only ask because when I was looking there were filters for dirty fuel/sediment and different filters for water. Some filters have a drain as well.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
im using power service fuel additives and the filter I got on there is a fuel and water separator I replaced the one on the truck tonight see what happens .

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I never liked Power Service, I used it for years but it seemed to gum up when exposed to dirt/gunk etc (which shouldn't be in a fuel system but we all know it is). I've had good luck with Howes, used to buy it by the pallet. If your tank filter is spin-on does it have a water drain? Do you keep it full? That's one step for sure. I also think the way Power Service is made up chemical wise makes over treatment worse for the issues I had as far as the junk and kind of tar like buildup if that makes sense. Try different filters, maybe a different treatment.

Do they have winter blend up there? #1?

check

I don't think there is any commodity that hasn't gone down in quality in the past decade. Gas, diesel, the food we eat, tools, vehicles, you name it. They are really pushing the envelope.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
On every study I'v seen..
Howes is #1 out of 100-150 manuf. additives tested by independent labs.
Power service, Stanandyne & Lucas weren't even in the top 10.. & Stanadyne & Lucas MAKE injection systems..
They were tested for >
Lubricity
C-tane
& water shedding/absorbing properties.. basically, breaking down water..
The new product from D-Tech wasn't on the market yet..
AND YES>> OVERDOSING a fuel system w/ additives will do more harm than good..
& any product that says it wont hurt the system is either lying or their product is snake oil..

td25c

Last edited:

Shimmy1

Any of you guys on the NAT site? Holy cow, I swear most of these guys just moved in from Arizona, and have never ran a diesel engine before. It isn't hard to sort the real guys from the newbies from the paranoid over-doers. I monitor the forecast, and fill accordingly. This -20 stuff had been forecast for over a week. I've had everything inside since last week, and the hoe and loaders have 50/50 in them. If I'd have had to keep anything outside, it would have had straight #1. I used to use Howes, Power Service "supplement" is quite a bit cheaper so we switched to that a couple years ago. I will not use the 911. I think being smarter than the cold has more to do with things than the brand of additive, YMMV.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
everything gets fueled up after use. I guess Imma start doing 50/50. I never had an issue till this year. maybe the tank in my truck is leaking water into the fuel who knows. Im sure ill figure it out

grandpa

I use a Canadian blend. Its called P40 around here. Never ever had a problem with fuel gel with it and some of my machines have lived outside since birth. 35 below yesterday and thats not windchill numbers.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Its - 30 here this morning I've only ever been jelled up once about 20 years ago I forgot to top up with winter fuel like I always do in early Dec. I had my snow blower tractor freeze up on a nasty stormy - 25 day I had to tarp up and put the heat to it change the filters dumped some road fuel from the local gas station in it, bleed the lines and away it went. So for years after that I was always paranoid and used howes conditioner put card board in the grill everything I could think of, but over the years I've gotten over it now all I do is make sure I keep everything over half full and top up my bulk tanks with seasonally adjusted fuel ( shell only but any national brand I'm sure would be as reliable ) and I never have any trouble.
I guess I should add everything I own is never outside winter or summer, in unheated storage, if I ever needlessly left something out side even for the night my Dad would come back from the grave and kick my azz.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I hear ya Shimmy>> its like 90% of the folks on the TBN site.. I like to go there for a laugh now & then..
The thread starts out.. Hard Start..
Then it goes on to say, its -10* & their machine is hard to start..& they don't know WHY.. Lol
OR its -10* & my tractor wont turn over.. "any suggestions?"
MOST don't know WHERE the battery is OR if it has glow plugs.. let alone what the battery voltage is OR HOW to check a glow plug..
OR WHAT engine is in it.. its frustrating "trying" to help these guys.. BUT.. I struggle thru it, "most of the time." other times I just skip the thread..

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I hear ya Shimmy>> its like 90% of the folks on the TBN site.. I like to go there for a laugh now & then..
Then it goes on to say, its -10* & their machine is hard to start..& they don't know WHY.. Lol
MOST don't know WHERE the battery is OR if it has glow plugs.. let alone what the battery voltage is OR HOW to check a glow plug..
OR WHAT engine is in it.. its frustrating "trying" to help these guys.. BUT.. I struggle thru it, "most of the time." other times I just skip the thread..
. Ain't that the truth TPG, one time a bloke who had brought a new JD tractor and mower was bitching that the mower was cutting higher one side than the other and the dealer wouldn't come and fix it. Well 3 pages of crap latter I'd had enough, told him to read the operator manual, measure the draft arms, check the rear tyre pressures, learn to pick up a spanner and stop harassing the dealer. I got no thanks for that except from other posters.:)

Shimmy1

. Ain't that the truth TPG, one time a bloke who had brought a new JD tractor and mower was bitching that the mower was cutting higher one side than the other and the dealer wouldn't come and fix it. Well 3 pages of crap latter I'd had enough, told him to read the operator manual, measure the draft arms, check the rear tyre pressures, learn to pick up a spanner and stop harassing the dealer. I got no thanks for that except from other posters.:)
Pretty obvious what my handle is, what're your guys on there? Just so I know who not to rile up?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You'll be right Shimmy cause you're one of the 10%. ;-)