• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what was your first and next piece of equipment you bought

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
First used 1994 Bobcat 853, second new 2001 Bobcat 334 Mini ex.

DPete

Actually the last I bought was a Cat 563 padfoot compactor so 1st D8H last 563 vibratory padfoot

catwelder

Occupation
welder
Actually the last I bought was a Cat 563 padfoot compactor so 1st D8H last 563 vibratory padfoot
ya know I'm wondering about what went through your mind when you bought a d8 for your first piece of equipment. you took go big or go home about to the biggest dozer cat makes. also very nice truck I like the color I don't see many of those

DPete

I bought a D8 because I had 13 years experience in that type of work at the time and was familiar with the machine.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I gotta ask when did u start your company since I follow your other post and you seem to have grown form 2 bobcats to well a good amount of bigger cat equipment

I started a homebuilding company in 1995. Through the years I took on commercial construction and site work, self performing residential development projects and commercial site work. The depression of 2009 hit us pretty hard, it turned the world upside down.:confused:

We've regrouped and since then we've concentrated on site work projects that include erosion control, demolition, storm sewer, site utilities and grading.

The homebuilding market in my area has been consolidated by big builders, not much room for a smaller or mid-sized builder other than custom homes and renovation - something I am not interested in doing, the general public has unrealistic expectations sometimes. Business to business transactions are more profitable for me.:cool:

Recently purchased a small road boring machine and will have our first road bore coming up in the next couple of months for an 8" water line under a 2 lane county road. I like underground piping work from storm to fire services and will be concentrating on that more.

I'm still a real estate developer at heart and have a few "side projects" in the works.;)

catwelder

Occupation
welder
I started a homebuilding company in 1995. Through the years I took on commercial construction and site work, self performing residential development projects and commercial site work. The depression of 2009 hit us pretty hard, it turned the world upside down.:confused:

We've regrouped and since then we've concentrated on site work projects that include erosion control, demolition, storm sewer, site utilities and grading.

The homebuilding market in my area has been consolidated by big builders, not much room for a smaller or mid-sized builder other than custom homes and renovation - something I am not interested in doing, the general public has unrealistic expectations sometimes. Business to business transactions are more profitable for me.:cool:

Recently purchased a small road boring machine and will have our first road bore coming up in the next couple of months for an 8" water line under a 2 lane county road. I like underground piping work from storm to fire services and will be concentrating on that more.

I'm still a real estate developer at heart and have a few "side projects" in the works.;)
if for some reason I'm ever in Alabama would love to see that thing work a company out of new York is doing a water replacement job up the road form me and they got one and looks like a interesting piece of equipment

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
My first was a Cat 951C track loader. Price was right and needed work. I did a overhaul on the engine and had to put pins and bushings in boom. I bought it because someone had put Cat undercarriage on it and will probably last me a long time. The loader has already paid for itself just using it around my property.
My next piece of equipment is going to be a Terex TS14B. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years now. Hopefully, I'll end up with one some day.

Attachments

• IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

catwelder

Occupation
welder
My first was a Cat 951C track loader. Price was right and needed work. I did a overhaul on the engine and had to put pins and bushings in boom. I bought it because someone had put Cat undercarriage on it and will probably last me a long time. The loader has already paid for itself just using it around my property.
My next piece of equipment is going to be a Terex TS14B. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years now. Hopefully, I'll end up with one some day.
again have to be honest here anytime yall say terex anything I got to google it to have a idea what it is the only terex stuff I know of is the backhoe and skid steer they make

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
again have to be honest here anytime yall say terex anything I got to google it to have a idea what it is the only terex stuff I know of is the backhoe and skid steer they make

There is a lot of the green Terex machines around here. Lots of scrapers and still some 82-40's.