• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What to do, what to do...

thebobcatkid86

YoungOne's posts have left me feeling inspired lately so Ive decided to write my own.

I feel as though Im at a turning point in my life. I am now 20 yrs old. I have loved heavy equipment ever since I was very small (as in before I could walk or even remember). I have always wanted to be an operator in some capacity whether being a landscaper, utility/waterproofing contractor, whatever as long as I can run equipment. I am extremely lucky to have parents that are as supportive as I do. I live at home and keep my equipment in the garage here in the "historic district" of my hometown.I have dabbled in most of the construction trades as well as landscaping and I enjoy them to an extent but really want to run equipment. I currently have several people all of whom are friends and/or customers of my dad that I work for as a jack of all trades. I dont enjoy this nearly as much as running equipment but its money and its not so bad compared to some things (retail, fast food, etc.)

As part of the ceremony for achieving my Eagle Scout award I was given the opprotunity to follow someone in the field of my career choice. I put down heavy equipment operator of course. So I spent two days tailing one of the jobsite foremen for a heavy highway construction company. While running around with thier foreman I was given the opprotunity to run some machines. First thing they threw me in a large wheel loader (I dont remember which one but around Cat 930 size) on a water main replacement job, putting gravel in the trench. I had only been in a wheel loader once before that and it was much smaller. I had a lane and a half to work in with morning rush our traffic giving me dirty looks from about 6 feet away. This thing was so big and unfamiliar to me I couldnt get a feel for distance or where the cutting edge was. Needless to say, slightly stressful. (To the point I had begun questioning how badly I wanted to do this.)
The next site we went to they guys gave me a shot on an E120B. I had been running minis for off and on for a year or so, I thought "Great now something I know how to do". However being an older cat it had SAE controls and I dont believe it had a changer switch or if it did I wasnt told. In any event the next 20 minutes made me look like a real a$$. :Banghead This was all very frustrating to me and was making me reconsider certain aspects of my career choices. Now maybe that makes me a wuss but I couldnt help it. Running anything, let alone the big iron, with the general public comuting within several feet seems to be more than my nerves can handle. Does one get used to it eventually? :beatsme

Anyhow that was in February of '05. That summer I happened upon a couple of water proofing/drainage jobs for friends of my dad, running a rented 4 ton mini and a Bobcat S175. I thought "Hey now this I can do." I sincerely enjoyed being the operator on those jobs and decided then that I was going to try to be self employed. By october I had found what I thought would be an afforable entry level machine to get me started. So at the age of 18, in fact 2 years ago last week I made the largest purchase of my life so far. My little Bobcat 453 skid steer. While it is small it is still a very capable machine. I love running it but finding steady work has been next to impossible so far. If I get one $70-150 job every month and a half Im doin pretty good. Now I suppose if I had an LLC, better liablity, and money to blow on advertising campaigns I might be doing better but Im in a catch-22. I dont really have the capital to make it a "real business" and I cant get the capital to do it without more work. So Im kind of stuck as far as being self employed.

With regard to the job with this outfit, Fabrizi Trucking & Paving. It wouldnt start til late winter/early spring. I would start out as what the guys there affectionately call a "Yard Rat". Running parts to job sites, running a loader feeding the crusher (they do their own pavement recycling) and filling tandems with 304, washing down trucks, etc.

I just found out today that a friend of this guy that my dad knows runs Independence Excavating which does similar work, so I may soon have a similar offer from them. And I have no idea how to choose between them, should it come to that.

I also have a standing job offer to be the apprentice to the superintendent of cemetaries in my town. Eventually becoming (in a year or two) the superintendant myself. However it mostly involves cutting grass and plowing snow with the occasional backhoe job (obviously). Also, that postition answers to the cemetary board which for the most part are typical suburbanites with little to no common sense.

One other option would be to put my application in at the IUOE Local 18 for their apprenticeship program.

Also, I could apply to OSU's Agri-extention for their Landscape Contracting & Construction and/or Power Equipment degrees for their application to many things of interest to me.

So I dont know what to do. I have so many options and I have never been good at making critical decisions without any definite determining factors. I can talk myslef into, and out of everything Ive listed here.

I love to run equipment. I love to learn. Im just unsure of what to do with myself.

YoungOne

Thanks, i'm glad my posts inspired you.

On my 19th birthday wednesday ( two days ago ) I started back with my ex-contractor. Talk about the best birthday present ever.

As far as running machines he told me " As long as I can trust you your the man for the job" And i said " But Chris those other two guys have been doing this for years." And he said " But neither of them have ever touched a joystick nor inspire to do so "

so you will get your chance. But with operating i have learned this just this week.

Hours operating 2.00
Hours laboring 46.00

That's in three days. We're getting up for a big pour so i offered to do overtime. And what he's paying me and showing me as i go it's worth it. I have pictures on my cellphone, Anyone know how to upload them and if it's free?

I love my job so far i brought home 340$ cash in three days for this first week. Now i'll start getting paid by check.

I'm REALLY glad that someone else out there feels like me. I guess we just have to take our time and learn as we go. I won't let anyman tell me that i won't own and operate an excavating company that does full prep. And a lowboy service one day. I think you should have the same attitude.

As of right now my goals are this.

3 Year major in engineering.
5 Year minor in architecture.
All while working at the same time. Hopefully for this same company

What are yours?

-Michael-

If your wondering i am currently operating on and off a Cat D4 Series D ( if anyone has pictures please post ) And a Cat 325 B. Both older machines. I'm not allowed to touch the 345 with 200 hours yet:D
Thanks

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I have pictures on my cellphone, Anyone know how to upload them and if it's free?

Check the second red link in my signature on help with posting pictures on the Forum. :)

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Both you guys will have your days in the sun. Just keep doing what you're doing. I heard more common sense coming from both you guys in the last 2 posts than I've heard out in the field all week, from "older", supposedly experienced individuals. You've both got what it takes to be successful... determination, perserverence, the desire to advance. All it takes is good old fashioned seat time, and hands-on experience which translates into TIME. And at 18 & 19, you guys have plenty of it. Just pay attention to detail.

Remember that statement the rest of your lives. I still do every day.It pays dividends.

YoungOne

Both you guys will have your days in the sun. Just keep doing what you're doing. I heard more common sense coming from both you guys in the last 2 posts than I've heard out in the field all week, from "older", supposedly experienced individuals. You've both got what it takes to be successful... determination, perserverence, the desire to advance. All it takes is good old fashioned seat time, and hands-on experience which translates into TIME. And at 18 & 19, you guys have plenty of it. Just pay attention to detail.

Remember that statement the rest of your lives. I still do every day.It pays dividends.

Thanks lowboy. Well their's some people that are in it for more than a paycheck. I enjoy being one of them.

Broke my thumb today at work. Got hit my a sledge hammer holding a stake for the boss. It can wait, the job can't:D

-Michael-

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Remember that "pay attention to detail" statement I made oooooh..., about ONE post ago???:confused: :confused: :confused:

That statement pertains to watching where your hands are when the boss is swinging the hammer on a stake! :badidea

Note to YoungOne: Always wear gloves when being the "stakee". The "staker" always has the safer position, and the lesser of the pain when he misses the mark...:D

jmac

The biggest factor that you will face is money. The determination and the desire to start a excavating business is good, but face it you are one of many people that dream of owning a excavating company some day. The best advice that I can give you is money management is more important than the ability to run a dozer. You can learn everything you need to know to run an excavating business. What you will need is good credit and start up capital. Do everything you can at a young age to build you credit score (Equifax, etc.) and save money. You will have a hard time putting the cash together to start an excavating business at your age but the banks have lots of money and you will need them. You will also need the basic understanding of insurance, taxes, accounting. To put is simply the act of doing the work is the easiest part. The business, finance, collections is the real work.

YoungOne

Yeah i had gloves on lowboy. And my hands were towards the bottom of the stake resting on the form. And yeah he managed to do it twice. It's the next day now and i'm already ready to go back monday:D

Imac,

I know exactly what you mean. I've already started putting back 100$ a week from every check whether it be army or civilian. It's helping. If i could start with one machine and a way i could transport it it'd be great. But i have time.:)

-Michael-

Thanks guys