• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What is this specailzed logging boat ?

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
The boats are known as "Log Bronks" and they are used to sort and build log rafts or to break down log rafts and get them up into the sawmill, Many are powered with 4-53 Detroits. They are very deep drafted and tough to sink.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
The boats are known as "Log Bronks" and they are used to sort and build log rafts or to break down log rafts and get them up into the sawmill, Many are powered with 4-53 Detroits. They are very deep drafted and tough to sink.

I kinda figured a Detroit (seeing the many dents in the engine cover)...

But how do they turn around on themselves ?

lantraxco

The original Nelson "Log Bronc" many others made variations on the theme. Also known as Pond boats.

Smaller one man versions had a long shaft outboard in the center on a ring bearing, a very early 360 degree thruster setup.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Thank you for the info, now I have googled the name, and found out answers to the drive system.

Back to the regularly scheduled forum (didn't mean to drag it too far off with boats and such)

alco

I always find it interesting how different areas use different names for things. I've always known them to be boom boats, or dozer boats.

thetrainguru

Occupation
Railway conductor
pond boats, maneuverable as hell, great assets to have on certain jobs. usually found in booms at mills