• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

DonnyBoy553

Here are some pictures of my Grandfather and his shovels. He ran shovel for Weyco out of Cosmopolis for nearly 30 years. The first is shovel 555, it was a link belt that had a log snorkel. I remember being with him while the lowboy was hauling it out of the woods, and right behind this lowboy was a second truck with the snorkel and counter weight. I also remember the lowboy drivers CB name...Banjo if anyone on here knows him.

When I was a kid, probably 1990-ish the link belt caught on fire and the suppression system it failed, the burned out hulk sat in the cosi yard for some time. They replaced it with this Thunderbird, shovel 553. I recall that it had drums on it, I cant remember what model number it was though.
photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Welcome aboard, friend! Glad to see this thread come back to life. if your grandfather is still alive, please ask him if he remembers my late father, Charlie Pike. dad spent about 15 years with Weyco Cosi. He transferred to Vail as Supe after Carl Weiks retired there.

Would love to see some more photos from Cosi. or Cosmopolis, for those not from the area.

Vigilant

Occupation
Check out this group on Facebook. it is about Weyco history in Southwest Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/706343106123504/

In case you are not aware, there are some fine gents here who do not share our fond memories of 'The Company', and rightfully so. Weyco turned a bit ugly in later years, and they had a negative impact on a lot of people up North. Might be interesting to read the MacMillan Bloedel thread here.

DonnyBoy553

Welcome aboard, friend! Glad to see this thread come back to life. if your grandfather is still alive, please ask him if he remembers my late father, Charlie Pike. dad spent about 15 years with Weyco Cosi. He transferred to Vail as Supe after Carl Weiks retired there.

Would love to see some more photos from Cosi. or Cosmopolis, for those not from the area.

Yes sir, my grandpa is still very much alive, just saw him yesterday! I will certainly ask him about your father. I was just looking through his logging photo albums while I was there, if I had discovered this thread before today I would have snagged some more pictures.

Hallback, I knew Banjo was still doing well...I saw him in this year at my great grandmothers funeral service in Montesano, honestly just couldnt remember his given name, it was always Banjo. Is it John?

Vigilant

Occupation
Ask him if he remembers the greatest Shop Foreman of all times: Mr. Red Moore, Cosi's Shop Foreman back in the day.

cubanator

DonnyBoy553, another local fellow... You still lurking around the forum? Thanks for the pics!

MotoMatt

I've been working in Longview for several weeks, went up to Coldwater Ridge last weekend. I'd like to check out the logs and equipment at Castle Lake but from what I can tell you need a $325 permit from Weyerhaeuser to drive back on those logging roads. Permits are sold out as well.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
You do not need to buy a permit to go up high to Castle Lake as that is state and federal ground up there and they cannot bar you from access.

MotoMatt

You do not need to buy a permit to go up high to Castle Lake as that is state and federal ground up there and they cannot bar you from access.
Good to know, I took a drive out there after work and turned back about 6 miles from the border of the national mounument/forest. I was on road 4250 I believe, does it run all the way to Castle Peak?. I’ve read about Road 3000 being gated off and it being 3 more miles to the south end of the lake?

Last edited:

MotoMatt

Did some more digging and found out road 3000 runs out around the bottom of the lake about where the red line is. My big question is to which red circle am I headed?

Attachments

• Google Map.JPG
    Google Map.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 45

MotoMatt

Well I hiked this today and didn’t see a thing other than some elk and a couple 6+ foot diameter logs

Attachments

• E522532F-3358-4D3C-8ACD-E499BE810C03.jpeg
    E522532F-3358-4D3C-8ACD-E499BE810C03.jpeg
    615.8 KB · Views: 46

Rusty Grapple

The Skagit GT-5C yarder and Cat D8 are at the upper end of the lake in the canyon, directly under the 3000 road. We always parked up on the 3000 and hiked straight down into it. The end of the yarder boom is very near the water now, and the Cat D8 is up on the hill above the yarder, about 700 feet in front of it (The cat is in the white box in the first pic here). There is also a fire truck in the area but its a ways from the yarder and would likely be difficult to find now with all the vegetation. The first pics were taken in 1980. I have also attached a map with arrow pointing at the machine location. 17_35_img_0034 - Cat In Box.jpg 17_18_img_0017 - A.jpg Castle Lake yarder - arrow.jpg

Rusty Grapple

These are some pics taken in 2020 by a friend who hikes in there somewhat regularly with the kids. As you can see, the whole area is growing up in alder trees and the equipment is not as easy to spot as it was 20 years ago. The old iron is still there, just rusting back into the earth.
39538713_286044558861729_3178802512354344960_n (1).jpg 39500113_752808715066950_3612889015805542400_n.jpg 39526424_1535593429875859_2329043408934404096_n.jpg