• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star vs Peterbilt (Cummins vs Detroit?

jcgibson681

Been looking at triaxle tractors lately and wanted to see what people think of the 2017 Western Star 4900SF w/ DD16 Detroit (605/2050) vs the 2018 Peterbilt 389 w/ X15 Cummins (605/2050). Both with the 18SPD Eaton. How do people like the Western Stars? When I lived in Vermont they were an incredibly popular truck. Love the 389's but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the X15 Cummins? Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks, John

wornout wrench

Hello John.
I can't comment on the Pete/Cummins combonation, but I can throw in my 2 cents about the Western Stars.

The company I work for replaced our fleet of aging KW T800 tridrives in 2015 with a fleet of Westernstar Tridrives,
Ours are equipped with the DD16 EPA10/GHG14 engines, Eaton MXP 18 sp Ultrashifts and the Neway ADZ suspension.
We don't "haul" on the hiway. The trucks only hit the pavement to go back and forth to the shop and depending on the haul, if they can run empty up the hiway to go back for another load, they will.

Needless to say, they will run MAX gvw just about every load.

Going from the old KW's with a stick and Cumins ISX in them to the DD and the self shifting trany's has been interesting.

So with 13 trucks running, we work 7 days a week, we now have over 2 million Kilometers on the fleet. Hard kilometers as logging will do to trucks.

I am the guy that runs the shop at night, so these things are my girls. I have gotten pretty intimate with them.;)

NOT a fan of the ADZ. When the trucks were spec'd out, there must have been a bean counter involved ( I like to call them Ink Maggots) and they saw that if we went with the ADZ we could up our GVW by a few pounds. We have had lots of grief with them. Our logging roads are not the best, we run on steep ground, switch backs coming off mountains and such.
There is not enough movement allowed with this system for our application. We have to really keep and eye on the components and change them out early to avoid catastrophic failures. Most of the fleet has been back to the dealer for some warranty upgrades on this system.

The Ultrashifts have been interesting. The drivers are about 50/50 on how they feel about them. They don't like them during the summer when we are up in the mountains, if you slow down too much and the trans downshifts, you are not ever going to get back up to speed. The inclinometer built into the system will not allow the trans to upshift. Dumb. The drivers have learned a few tricks to get past this.
They also don't like them during periods of snow and slippery conditions. You might want a higher gear to avoid slippage and trans will not allow.
Other times of the year, they love it. I have had more then one guy tell me that they go home at night feeling no where near as tired as they did after scrambling eggs all day with a stick.
Just a note here, the old KW's were all 18 speed manuals, so they were all used to driving sticks.

The old 18 speeds that we ran were a damn fine trans. We had a few drivers that abused them, but that is what happens with fleet. I would not hesitate to spec one out in a truck again.

Now for the engine.
So far, touch wood, we have not had any major issues. With 13 trucks, there has been a few warranty issues but nothing serious.
Things are just starting to show up now, but like I said at the start, they are 2 years old now and hard miles.
WE had one truck that had an oil pressure issue, it turned out that it had the wrong engine oil dip stick installed at the factory. The dealer covered that one no problem.

We are finally starting to have issues with the emission part of the system. The "One Box"
I have a laptop with the DD program in it so I am able to do most of the diagnosing and repairs. Temp senders and NOx sensors. The temp senders are about $100 and the NOx are around 4-500 if I remember correctly. So with the 13 trucks I think I am at about 4 NOx sensors and 6 Temp sensors. Not to bad since there are 13 (I think it is 13) sensors in each one box.

What I have had to change out quite often is the DEF harness that runs from the truck to the DEF tank and pump. The mud and crud off the steer tires get thrown all over the harness and it sits inside the loom and it acts like grinding compound and eats its way through the tiny little wires. It is a $90 dollar harness, takes about a hour to change out.

Right now I have one at the dealer. Problem with the DEF system. I think it might be contamination, but I do not have the proper stuff to test the DEF with so I sent it to the "experts"

Other "learning" problems that we have had.
During the winter months, we can be on a short haul.
The emission system has certain parameters that it need to meet to initiate a passive or active regeneration.
So the truck will ask for a parked regeneration. (A DPF burn)
The drivers were trying to skip doing a parked burn, ( possibly because the foremen were leaning on them to get the loads)
Ignoring this is a bad thing, as we found out.
A parked regeneration will take 30 to 60 min depending how plugged things are. DO NOT IGNORE IF CALLED FOR
We had to replace a one box because of a driver ignoring the code.
There might have been a warranty issue going on also, cant remember.

The drivers like the engines. LOTS of power.
I'm not sure what the fuel consumption is, but you cannot compare what we do with highway miles.

Now onto the truck.

Our biggest problem to date with the truck itself.
The radiators.
Can NOT keep them from leaking.
The stock rads are JUNK, Modine garbage (Just a personal thought here).
The dealer has resealed or changed out every rad at least twice.
They keep using the same garbage.
We have a spare rad and have sent it to a radiator repair shop that is used to dealing with trucks that haul on crappy roads like ours. The install a heavy duty industrial core with better gaskets. So far they have been doing the trick.

Westernstar also has the hood mounted so that it is on the radiator mount. With our horrible roads, the extra weight of the hood on the rad mount beats the hell out of the rad mounts. Dumb.
We also have lots of issues with cab mounts. They look like they melt. I think it is just the friction from the cab shaking all day on the dirt roads.
And the wiring.
We are alway repairing the wiring for the headlight and the turn signals on the hood, driving and fog lights. Just horrible wiring.
But once again, rough dirt roads.

So to sum it all up

These trucks are spec's heavy haul.
We haul heavy on dirt roads.

If you were using these trucks in a Highway application, most of the problems that I experience will probably go away. The pounded out rad mounts, the rad problem themselfs, the cab mount, the worn out wires.

Feel free to PM me if you want anymore information

Truck Shop

Wornout wrench wrote a very factual account of Freightliner/Western Star problems.

The hood wiring is a problem on any of them on or off road. The best thing to do is remove the plastic harness cover and use top quality tape, and tape the wires and reinstall cover.
The vibration will cause the wiring to chafe inside cover and wear right through the insulation. We run the DD-12sp automatics in 14 of our trucks, most drivers like them some don't.
So far no problems with the autos in 300,000 miles. The DD-15's and 16's are a fairly reliable power plant. The radiators can be a problem in any FRTLNR/STAR product. The belt
tension-er lasts about 200,000 miles, when belts make noise replace tension-er at the same time. Any of the later trucks that have the automatic come with grease-less U-joints only.
Injectors for DD's run 925.00 each. We haven't had too many issues with the emission systems yet, but I'm sure they will surface. Our fleet is 48 trucks hauling 100,000 GVW.

I think the ISX after 2014 has had way less problems than the 08 to 013 models. We have an outside customer that has 9 of the later models and has had few issues, mainly EGR.
The ISX is a little easier to service that the DD's, DD's have cartridge filters. Personally I like the Eaton 18sp, need something to do while setting there.

Truck Shop

wornout wrench

Thanks for the reminder about the filters Truck Shop.
I forgot about them. Well, not forgot, just try to forget. LOL
Almost seems like we are going back in time servicing the DD16's. Hard to try to keep the oil and fuel off the engine when you pull the filters out.
I really HATE that!!

I have found that when the tuckers get a little too carried away washing the truck and spray the engine off, we get belt noise for about 2 days but we haven't had a tensioner go yet. Lucky I guess.

We still have grease fittings on the U-joints, but there is nothing on the slip joints now. Starting to have issues with them. One has twisted off. I believe it was between front and middle diff.
They spec'd these trucks with big eaton axles on the back. They are huge. Lost one when a driver decided to throw the diff lock in when spinning his way up a hill. $17K by the time the smoke cleared. Complete axle. Had another one making a noise, it was covered by warranty.

I have heard via the jungle telegraph that us mechanics listen to, that later on in life, the One Box system can have an issue transferring platinum from the matrix in the SCR to the sensors. It will be a head scratcher trying to figure it our. The one fellow I heard it from is a DD mechanic.
He had an evil laugh going on when he said just wait, your turn will come, so not really sure when our turn will be, but I guess it happens.

Truck Shop

I heard the same story about transferring platinum, now that I've heard it twice it just might be. One thing when changing the oil filter-always use a blow gun and clean out
around the plastic filter head. Gravel can fly up there from the steer tires. The other thing I forgot to mention was the up-date on removing the coolant filters and not installing
any leave the housing void of filter. After 2014 DD's don't come with a coolant filter. And that Power Core air filter won't last as long as they say. Have you had any coolant
surge tanks crack and leak? We have had four crack out so far. Starters and power steering pumps are another thing we've had a few issues with. Wait til you get to change
that tensioner, it goes bad-starts leaning slightly on the A/C- ALT belt. $182,00 for the tensioner and there is a core charge.

Truck Shop

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
One thing when changing the oil filter-always use a blow gun and clean out
around the plastic filter head. Gravel can fly up there from the steer tires. The other thing I forgot to mention was the up-date on removing the coolant filters and not installing
any leave the housing void of filter. After 2014 DD's don't come with a coolant filter. And that Power Core air filter won't last as long as they say. Have you had any coolant
surge tanks crack and leak? We have had four crack out so far. Starters and power steering pumps are another thing we've had a few issues with. Wait til you get to change
that tensioner, it goes bad-starts leaning slightly on the A/C- ALT belt. $182,00 for the tensioner and there is a core charge.

Isn't it wonderful they can't get these things right that have been on trucks for 60 years or more?

Shimmy1

Isn't it wonderful they can't get these things right that have been on trucks for 60 years or more?
Shouldn't be a surprise. Our country is rife with save mother earth, tree-hugging fools that believe metal oil filters are going to cause the end of the world. Simple as that, just my opinion.

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
Detroit has had a reputation for good power for a long time. Especially at low Rpm's. Detroit spent a lot of money coming up with their current "DD" engine platform. I've HEARD they spent more money than any other manufacturer in developing their low emission engine. I can't back up that tho, it could very well be false.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I think the 12.7 and the current crop of "DD" is a completely different animal, no?

The 12.7 and its counterparts were Series 60 designed and made in USA in the late 80s/early 90s.

The "DD" series are a ripoff of DAF or some European manufacturer? With the gear train at the rear because they are all cabovers in Europe?

Shimmy1

Have to agree, Birken. I've never driven a DD15 or 16, and I'm pretty sure a 14 L Series 60 pulls better than a 12.7, but I just could not use the words "good power at low rpm", "Detroit Diesel", and "long time" in the same sentence, yet. DD15s have been around for 10-12 years, tops? To me, a long time is 25 years plus, but that's just my opinion. I will say this, a DDEC4 12.7 "had" a lot of potential, I believe, to be a hell of an engine if the EPA wouldn't have neutered it. I have a power box on my 500, and with it set on 2, I can make as good of mileage and pull quite a bit better than our 525 N14. If I got rid of the factory exhaust manifold, and reworked the piping to get rid of all the elbows, I could probably substantially beat the N14 on mileage.

RLU_tech

Occupation
Mechanic
The 14L 60 series is certainly a powerhouse. A buddy of mine has an '07 with the 505 14L. It's overkill for them as they use it to haul grain. Awesome low end torque when the variable geometry turbo lights. A place I used to work for had a '96 12.7 60 series. Considering its age and size, every driver was in agreement that it had impressive low end. Just my two cents.

Truck Shop

The DDEC 4's that we have are 14L 550hp 1850 torque. Mileage is 4.6 to 5.1 at 100,000 gvw depending on driver. The DD 15 series came out in 09 and is
a whole different animal. Built in cooperation with Mercedes. The average mileage that we are getting with the DD15 is 6.2 to 7.3 depending on driver.
The DDEC 4's at 550 definitely have the power. The DD16's we have are rated at 565hp and get down the road also. But the big thing is the DD series
has very few internal engine problems. Ours have a 750,000 mile engine, transmission and drive axle warranty. And it's a fairly quiet running engine.
But when you raise the hood it looks like a nightmare til you get use to it.

Truck Shop

wornout wrench

I have yet to hear one of our drivers complain of lack of power on the DD16's
In fact, more likely to hear "they have plenty of power" or "they don't lack the power"
Our are rated at 600 HP. I believe the rating is 550 HP with another 50 HP added with the compound turbo thingy and it adds another 100 ft lbs torque.

Truck Shop.

I know what you mean about the nightmare under the hood. Have scratched my head a few times trying to figure out what the "H" that thing is or what it does.
"That's where the thermostat is?"
"It's a little spinner that spins about 300 rpm and separates the oil out of the crankcase gases" Whaaaaa???
"Where is the air compressor? Oh god!"

Trying to change out the starter. I have a fairly big set of paws on me. Had a heck of a time getting my mitts in there to get the bolt and wires and such off.

You know what else we have had real issues with. The air conditioning.
Have lost 3 or 4 compressors, seized solid. A couple more have come apart inside and polluted the system with shrapnel, plugged up the expansion valves.
Lots of grief trying to keep the cab cool during the summer months.
3 of the trucks came with some fancy HAVC system. Set your temp and away you go. NOT. Took the better part of a year and a half to get them working properly. Many tips to the stealer for warranty on them.
And the rails inside the left door for the power window to slide up and down in, they fall apart on a regular basis. We take the brand new parts and do some modifications to them before we put them in now, has helped quite a bit with that problem.

If I think of any more, I will post them later.
It's 3:30 in the morning here. Time for bed:rolleyes:

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
Shine a light in under the air filter housing from driver's side. They will warp and sag from engine heat over time risking dusting an engine if not caught.

Truck Shop

Shine a light in under the air filter housing from driver's side. They will warp and sag from engine heat over time risking dusting an engine if not caught.

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye on that.

Truck Shop