• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

West Coast Logging Camps, Shops, Barges, etc.

Rockin Chair

.....continued:

View attachment 147165

And now they are gone!

View attachment 147166

Perhaps you didn't see on page 8. I put pictures of the Haida Monarch dumping at my booming ground in Howe Sound about 1975. Also two of the old flat decks that wouldn't dump and had to be blasted off with stick powder. I have pictures of the first ever load on the Forrester, when it was the Island Foresster, before Sea Span. (my user name used to be "Tugman". I had to change it due to a move and different internet server. Some where back is a picture of my yacht "Rockin Chair".

trakloader

Nope, General Motors. It actually says "General Motors" on the engines, not "GM"; I was just being a lazy typist. General Motors owned Detroit Diesel until fairly recently, and changed the name to Detroit in the '30s or '40s, (I think). The 6-71 General Motors is basically identical to the 1971 Detroit 6-71 I have.

They changed in 1965. One of the 65 HDX's actually came new with one Detroit and one GM cover. 62 KW had a 6-71 still marked GM.

TD-5

In case if you have not seen these in action, here is a barge dumping in the Alberni Inlet on Vancouver Island July 2012:

Since there is mention of the Kingcome log ship "Haida Monarch" I will add a little FYI, The pictures above of the Seaspan Log barge dumping are the Barge Seaspan now calls "Seaspan Survivor". This is actually the remains of the old Haida Monarch. Seaspan did a major refit on her back around 2010 and converted her from a ship (self propelled barge some use to say) to a towed log barge. the engine room was gutted except for new gen sets & the ballasting system, all acommodation was removed as well as the wheelhouse.( one of the EMD 645-20cyl main engines was actually sent for a factory rebuild and was then installed in the "Seaspan King" Tugboat during its refit)
The original Heede electric cranes were removed along with their towers & the towers and Favco Hydraulic cranes from the other Log Ship "Haida Brave" were grafted into the monarch. The "Brave" cranes underwent a huge modification/refit themselves to make them self powered ( 2 x 3412 Cats I believe) before they were installed on the Monarch. When all was said & done, she was renamed "Seaspan Survivor" The other Log ship Haida Brave was sent to China for scrap.