• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

West Coast Logging Camps, Shops, Barges, etc.

72HDX

Occupation
Off-Highway Truck Driver
Drury Inlet Mill&Timbers float camp Malibu Logging 1986

Was the barge registered as "Seymour I". Cause it looks like it. If it is, its scrapped, she sank one night while tied up at Bear Bight back in 02. I was in that Camp in Plumper Harbour too. Only for a few days though. I came in to help deal with the 7230 on its side. I got to stay in the ever so lovely land camp.

MikeKB

I just discovered this forum and I must say reading these posts remind me of my early days when I grew up in mahatta River Logging Camp in the seventies and eighties. The camp was located about 45 minutes west of Port Alice on Vancouver Island and had been operated by Western Forest Products (WFP) at the end when it was shut down in 1986. Has anyone worked there and may have photos they would like to post?
I went on to work at the WFP Quatsino Dryland Sort at Port Alice in the eighties and nineties....

Mike

SPMiller

Occupation
Operator
215442_10150156796431903_511411902_6957863_6979915_n.jpg

217407_10150156798321903_511411902_6957881_340150_n.jpg

216319_10150156798466903_511411902_6957882_7681469_n.jpg

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
Anybody remember the big boneyard behind what I think was Victoria Plywood camp up east Harrison in the early 1970s. Was only there once to put a new Madill winch on an old carrier but remember walking thru the boneyard in the evening after dinner. Pretty spooky place just at dusk. Regards D.D.

BCFP VET

Occupation
old school logger,jack of all trades.
Wow!!
The last pic in Post #7 looking up at the Staff Bunkhouse at Juskatla brings back some memories.
As well, when I think back on my "institutionalized" times I go all the way back to basic training in the Navy in 1964, at Cornwallis, Nova Scotia.
From there it was to Nelles Block at CFB Esquimalt (then HMCS but now CFB) while I did 10 months in Comm School, learning to be a Radio Operator. From there it was a year serving on HMCS Sussexvale, an old WWII Frigate. She was paid off in September of 1966 and I went to HMCS Aldergrove, in the Fraser Valley. It was a ship-shore station and we worked all Commonwealth ships, both naval and commercial, as well as anyone else who called us.
From there I went to Heber Lodge, where all the single guys lived when they were building the Gold River Pulp Mill. That was in March of 1967, just as I was getting out of the Navy, and it sat where the ballpark is now. Marling Field I think they call it.
In 1969 I went to the Logging Division at Gold River for Tahsis Company.
It was there I was washing up one Saturday morning about 8:30 AM or so when the Bullcook walked through and said; "Quite a bit of excitement last night eh?"
"Oh," said I. "I must have missed it. What happened?"

"You mean you didn't hear anything last night around midnight? he asked.
"Nope," I replied. "Slept like a log. What happened?"
"Bunkhouse D burned down," he answered. "Killed a guy too."

Turns out that one of two brothers had flipped out and set the bunkhouse on fire which killed his brother. The firetruck came along as well as the cops and I guess there was quite the commotion for a couple of hours.
This all happened less than 100 feet from my bunkhouse too.
I slept right through it.
A few years later I was hired as Warehouse Supervisor for M&B at Juskatla and I lived in the staff bunkhouse pictured in post #7. My neighbor was Gabe, the Head Cook, although he was actually a French trained Chef and produced the best cookhouse food I've ever had. He'd get up early every morning and personally cook your breakfast for you as you came down the line. When you reached him your breakfast was hot off the griddle for you. Most other places cooked up ahead and used warmers for the eggs and pancakes etc.
Not Gabe.
He believed the crew deserved a good hot fresh cooked breakfast so that's what he gave them.
From there I went to BCFP Port Renfrew where I first lived in the bunkhouse used by the Forestry Crew, which is where I started. That crew was pretty crazy and one of the last of the company crews as things evolved to contract forestry not long after those days. By 1977 I was running the warehouse there and living in the Staff Bunkhouse, where I spent the next five years or so before we closed Port Renfrew and moved everything to the old Gordon River camp in 1983.
I finally got caught in the mid '80's downsizing that was so prevalent then and didn't work in a camp again until September of 1986, when I went to Eden Lake for Husby. We stayed at the old Naden Harbor Timber camp right at Eden Lake and the old CIPA Industries camp down at Naden Harbor became Perigrine Lodge not long after that.
I'm of the opinion that BC loggers were some of the best fed guys around back in those days, and at a very small cost to them too.
I think IWA guys paid $2.50 per day for room and board for many years.
I recall in Juskatla that I was charged $30.00 per month for my room and board but I was paid an extra $25.00 per month called "Location Allowance," so my net cost was $5.00 per month. I had a single room with a TV and a fridge. I shared a washroom and shower with a young engineer whose name I can't recall while Gabe, on my other side, had two rooms to himself. One he lived in and one he used to refinish furniture in. He had also decorated his room with all kinds of things he'd picked up on his travels and he had the most cosmic stereo set-up with the weirdest turntable I'd ever seen. It was a fore-runner of CD's and he'd seen the prototype at a show in London England, found out there were six of them made but they weren't yet for sale, decided he wanted one anyway so travelled to Denmark and harrassed the head office of the company that made them until they sold him one of the prototypes.....for $1,600.00.........for a turntable.......in 1973.
He then bought what was basically a CBC studio amplifier, a transformer to ensure steady power from the diesel powerplant was installed for him and he hooked it all up to a couple of giant speakers with a pair of graphic equalizers to smooth things out.
This was all installed in one of those rooms off to the right looking at your picture in post #7, and I spent quite a few nights in his room having a drink or two and listening to all kinds of music on that system. It ran from a photo-electric eye on the arm and when he turned it on the arm dropped down to a very close distance from the magnetic grooves on the record as it tracked across the record to measure it so as to know what speed to rotate at. A digital readout showed you exactly what speed the record was turning and, as there was no needle, nothing ever actually touched the record. The magnetic energy from the record was converted to sound with absolutely no distortion at all and was really pure.
Classic guy and I think he has his own restaurant somewhere in eastern BC nowadays.
The camp at Renfrew was ok but the waste from the cookhouse was incredible and I always thought we had the fattest dump bears on the coast because of that.
They used to hang around the bunkhouses all the time and I've chased a few of them off the porch so I could get in the bunkhouse when coming off afternoon shift there.
Had a major bear problem at the Gold River dump near Heber Lodge but in 1967 a Game Warden and a couple of cops and a few other guys went to the dump one night and shot six or seven of them. They did that kind of thing back then but you'd never be allowed to do it these days.
Sounded like a battle ground when all the shooting started, that's for sure.

I never worked on any of the float camps that frequent our coast but I claim my Navy time makes up for that.
Sometimes I think I spent half my life living the institutionalized lifestyle.

Fortunately none of the institutions were jails...........or mental. LOL

Gotta go now, but.....

Thanks again for all the pics you guys share.

Still dig them a lot.

Take care.

Renfrew logging divsion, camp and sort wasn't closed down until 86-87 yes they did move to gordon river camp, but renfrew wasn't closed until 86 87 after that they left the baseballfield with chainlink fencing and some logs behind, for years after it was used as a race track, then the alder grew over most of the area, part of the old camp and sort is the campground and marina now, and last year i was visiting there, there was 5 bcfp crummy trucks parked there, there were repainted bcfp colors and logo, someone loves bcfp alot, to keep flying them, thanks

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
Renfrew logging divsion, camp and sort wasn't closed down until 86-87 yes they did move to gordon river camp, but renfrew wasn't closed until 86 87 after that they left the baseballfield with chainlink fencing and some logs behind, for years after it was used as a race track, then the alder grew over most of the area, part of the old camp and sort is the campground and marina now, and last year i was visiting there, there was 5 bcfp crummy trucks parked there, there were repainted bcfp colors and logo, someone loves bcfp alot, to keep flying them, thanks

You're a bit confusing with the above insofar as the logging camp did move over to the old Gordon River camp in 1983 lock stock and barrel. I know because I was there and did it. The shop moved over, the Warehouse stock was all moved over, the bunkhouses and cookhouse were soon closed, the Forestry shack and Firehall were moved over all in 1983. I'm not sure what you mean by "wasn't closed down until 86-87" as they were long gone out of Renfrew by then. All the hauling went the other way and the dryland sort basically shut down and later became the marina, run by a good friend of mine and his partner. I got bumped off in October of 1984 but used to commute from Jordan River to Gordon River five days a week before that as my wife couldn't stand living in Renfrew so we moved back to JR and rented the house out in Renfrew.
I love the history of the area and wish to record it a bit here and there but it needs to be not confusing to be valid.
Not trying to argue or anything BCFP VET but I was there.
By the way, I took a pic of my BCFP vest yesterday and will download it and share it with you shortly.

All the best and.......

Take care.

BCFP VET

Occupation
old school logger,jack of all trades.

my dad just showed me his video recorder, with sound, of bcfp renfrew div 86 they were still using the area as a dryland sort still, i saw the proof on cam, we didn't see any bunkhouses, just afew offices, you may have worked there, but my dad recorded the whole ordeal with his buddy, by any chance where did bcfp get there safety vests from and bcfp vinyl logo's as well from,must have been a local sign shop in town some where, thanks there's still bcfp trucks stillbeing used in renfrew to this day, pretty nice to see.

Born2clearcut

Picture # 1 is Helifor's Paragon camp it is a freighter converted into a float camp picture was taken in Salmon Inlet , Clowhom falls . The heli on deck is a Vertol 107 II with a maximum lift capacity, 10,000 lbs . Picture # 2 is your typical west coast atco trailer bunkhouse room, this room was in the Homathko river camp . This camp didn't have much recreation , my room was the movie theater since i had VCR to watch movies . They did have a yuke dump truck box that was converted into a hot tub , it was around 10 feet deep with some benches on two sides underwater to sit on , the temp was 104 fahrenheit biggest hot tub i've seen

Attachments

• Paragoncampsm.jpg
    Paragoncampsm.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 4,302
  • my roomsm.jpg
    my roomsm.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 4,455

Choker man

I was just on a website "Maritime Traffic" and noticed a ship anchored in Vancouver harbour, "Development Way" that is carrying a self propelled log barge to the scrap yards. "Development Way" is a vessel that can be submerged and then the cargo is loaded and then the vessel is re-floated. I wonder if there are any more self propelled log barges left in British Columbia.

Born2clearcut

I was just on a website "Maritime Traffic" and noticed a ship anchored in Vancouver harbour, "Development Way" that is carrying a self propelled log barge to the scrap yards. "Development Way" is a vessel that can be submerged and then the cargo is loaded and then the vessel is re-floated. I wonder if there are any more self propelled log barges left in British Columbia.
I saw a little thing on globle TV news about one of the barges they had on a submerged freighter in Vancouver Harbour , It was taking the log barge and a couple support tugs to Japan . I guess our Gov sent so many raw logs there they need a barge to move them around:Banghead

wornout wrench

Kelsey Bay early 60's

See if my first attempt at loading pictures in will work

Attachments

• Kelsey Bay early 60's.jpg
    Kelsey Bay early 60's.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 3,739

johnson

Nice pictures it must have been awesome living and working in those camps.I think these photos were taken in Belize inlet probably 2010.I think it's Lemare Lake Logging.The barge camp looks like theirs (I don't really know I only saw a little bit of it on the history chanel videos from when they were on Ax Men)
img_0547loggingcamp1.jpg
img_0553logslides1.jpg

johnson

Most camps here are from BC but in my mind the biggest camps were in southeast Alaska,here are some pictures of the Whitestone camp and sort yard almost abandoned from what I hear some people still live in the camp and the Icy Straits Lumber Mill was (I think) in the Whitestone sort yard on the Long island before it burnt down in 2010
IMGP9274.jpg
IMGP9597.jpg
15457176.jpg
I borrowed the camp pictures from Contract Logger/Rusty Grapple hope he don't mind.

Last edited:

johnson

Phoenix Logging's camp I think the camp is named Camp Bear and the barge is named Clearwater.
logging-blog-37.jpglogging-blog-6.jpglogging-blog-53.jpglogging-blog-57-1.jpgPhoenix Logging Grace Harbor 1.jpgSince I "borrowed" the pictures from Contract Logger and Anne Blodgett Photography I would like to thank them for posting such cool pictures.

Last edited: