1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

West Coast Logging Camps, Shops, Barges, etc.

Discussion in 'Forestry Operations' started by trakloader, Apr 23, 2010.

1. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Post your pictures of logging camps, shops, etc. on the West coast of North America! :D

2. Dave Hadden

Dave Hadden Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Now you're just trying to torture me eh??

You know I have no pictures of the camps I worked at save those embedded in my mind.

And I've already proven you can't develop those. :D

But I'm looking forward to what may turn up and later I'll add some recollections of people and places as they evolve.

Take care and good thread starter.

3. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator
    Ha Ha eat your heart out Dave!! I've got lots we'll start at Pitt Lake. They started logging there in the early 40s has or had it's own postal code Alvin BC I was in there yesterday and took these pics. It has an old Pelton wheel for power still in operation the penstock runs op the hill apx 1km looks about 18 in diameter. However it doesn't put out enough kilowatts to run the camp.

Attached Files:

4. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator
    More Pitt Lk... back in the hayday 300 man camp swimming pool, huge rec hall 3 pool tables, shuffle boards etc.

Attached Files:

DirtyFrenchy likes this.
  5. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator
    more Pitt

Attached Files:

6. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Juskatla, BC, Queen Charlotte Islands.

A camp operated by MacMillan Bloedel, the cookhouse and bunkhouses were closed down in the early 80's. The shop, etc. remains to this day, and hopefully for many years to come. Here are some pics from 1955 or so.

Attached Files:

7. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

More of Juskatla

From the mid 70's.

Attached Files:

8. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

More of Juskatla

70's.

Attached Files:

9. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

More of Juskatla

Some from a couple of years ago.

Attached Files:

10. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

Dinan Bay camp was built in the early 70's, first run by Olympic Forest Products, then Edwards & McGeachern, and finally Edwards & Associates. All were contractors for MacMillan Bloedel Ltd. These pictures were taken in 2008 when I was spelling off the camp watchman on weekends. Whole place to myself, not another living soul in miles! :eek: The camp operated until Weyerhaeuser closed it down, forcing everyone to travel to work by boat from Port Clements. :mad: All but a few buildings were destroyed, with one bunkhouse converted to a combination cookhouse, office, first aid room, and rooms for about a dozen men. Nobody has used the camp since October, 2008. Will it ever be used again?? :beatsme

Attached Files:

11. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

More.

Attached Files:

12. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

More yet.

Attached Files:

13. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

More.

Attached Files:

14. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

Still more. I took lots of pictures there. :)

Attached Files:

15. HDX

HDX Senior Member

Logging trucks

Trakloader, The photo of the Logging trucks and P/Us and stuff that you posted !!! Well the Yellow HDX in that photo came from down this way. It has a yellow and white door on her. When she was new she was bought by Reg Smyth and after he passed away was sold to Pat Carson Bulldozing and then they were sold to Hayes Forest. Al Burdick got her new and managed to stay on her till he retired and shortly after that she was sold to E&A Her original unit # was 7 then she became T457 under HFS Dont know what her #is now. Also FYI your old H34 is down here now hauling in Sarita owned by Dave Mills Contracting so she has a good home

16. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Interesting stuff! The truck's new number is H-7, very appropriate! :D I'm glad to hear 34 is still around, too, I wondered what became of her. She went to Olympic for a short time, then vanished. We have a P-16 from Hayes, too, and also three other P-16's from other M&B divisions. H-46 and 47, and 55. Not the same 55 that Torkel posted, though, I'm somewhat confused. :confused:

17. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Dinan Bay, QCI

A few more.

Attached Files:

18. HDX

HDX Senior Member

H55

The picture he posted was of H155 not H55 although it looks like H55 on the bar under the front bumper it is actually H155. This P16 went to Sarita Division new and the second driver to drive that truck put on some white striping on the sides of the hood --you can see it in the picture. The truck you guys call G24 was actually H24 and pulled the lowbed at Cameron Division untill it was stuck under that huge debris trailer that went to Lamar Lake Logging.She was then rebuilt as a conventional truck from her pre-load configuration after she was taken over by Hayes Forest Cant remember her "T" number after that but im sure Kim has a picture of it The front bumper gives her away. When they rebuilt her at their Duncan Shop they filled the front bumper with body filler to make it look good -I dont have to tell you what happened the first time she pushed the low-bed

19. trakloader

trakloader Senior Member

Ah, that makes more sense! Kim tracked down a couple of our old QCD trucks, 44 and 258. Also 147, which I hear was destroyed in a fatal accident. :( And 149, the green HDX with Pacific cab.

20. Murk100

Murk100 Senior Member

30 yrs GY Operator
    Tilton Hilton !! Hayes float camp tied up at Plumper Harbour, Nootka Island the name says it all....actually not to bad just a little side heavy.

Attached Files: