• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water pump

dennis sanders

Overheating on on a 80dg day....water temp and converter run 200dg f....can high idle and temp will drop but jumps right back.....washed radiator and blow it out regular...

dennis sanders

I'm not sure where the oil cooler is located. ..I work it hard but not overdoing it....it will set the alarm off above 200f....has good air flow....pusher fan

Delmer

OK, take some temps of the water outlet and inlet on the engine. An infrared thermometer won't read well on a shiny metal surface so choose a painted location that's similar for the water temp going into the radiator and coming back from the radiator. That will help a lot.

Have you flushed the cooling system? what came out in the old antifreeze and/or flushing water?

I don't think 200 oil would overheat the water if they're at the same temp, not enough temp difference in my mind.

Also, have you looked through the radiator with a light on the other side, it's easy to be clean on the surface but be blocked especially if there's an oil cooler or condenser in the way.

dennis sanders

OK, take some temps of the water outlet and inlet on the engine. An infrared thermometer won't read well on a shiny metal surface so choose a painted location that's similar for the water temp going into the radiator and coming back from the radiator. That will help a lot.

Have you flushed the cooling system? what came out in the old antifreeze and/or flushing water?

I don't think 200 oil would overheat the water if they're at the same temp, not enough temp difference in my mind.

Also, have you looked through the radiator with a light on the other side, it's easy to be clean on the surface but be blocked especially if there's an oil cooler or condenser in the

dennis sanders

I can see thru the radatior...good air flow. ...no condenser or oil cooler....I think one of the segments is the ac condenser...it's also clean....don't know where the oil cooler is...I see lines going in the bottom tank...the coolant is nasty....I've run cleaner thru it....still not clear....I read about dishwasher detergent....only problem is I don't have access to a water hose...replaced thermostat....cap...I may have to remove the cores....haven't ever had a machine with separate cores so I'm unsure how they come out.......thanks for responding. ..I have to get this fixed with hot weather here in eastern ok.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
If the coolant is nasty then that is probably your problem. I don't care much about chemical cleaner, usually when coolant gets nasty enough, it has built up scale on the working surfaces and nothing short of mechanical scraping or outright replacement will take care of it. Can you look into the cores on this model and are they all plugged up internally?

Delmer

I've had good luck reverse flushing radiators in place. The gunk usually builds up at the top of the tubes and blocks the flow. You need running water even if it's a barrel of rain water on top of the cab with a hose siphoning out of it. I like rain water, just as good as distilled for most purposes.

Take your lower hose off the radiator, stuff an air nozzle with a rag into the bottom of the radiator, take the cap and top hose off. Run the hose into the top of the radiator, when it overflows, give it a shot of air, repeat until the water comes clear. If there's oily gunk, then you'll need the dishwasher detergent, no need for running water for that, buckets of rainwater will work. Run it with detergent, drain, fill, run, drain, repeat until it drains without sediment.

dennis sanders

Got the radiator back flushed today. ..used dishwashing liquid for about a hour then pulled bottom hose...nasty ...run a water hose until it cleared up then put a rag around a air wand and back flushed it until it cleared up. ....looked like pond water......didn't have time to work it but that had to help.....still no luck with the blade angle....linkage has some wear but still moving the spool .....only angle spool is acting up..up....down...tilt are fine.....got me stumped...never had this problem...been on a dozer for 40 yrs....Deere...Case and Cat....any help would be appreciated.

dennis sanders

Forgot the TD 14....had a Bucyrus Erie blade with cylinders mounted beside the operators station....hand clutch. ..busted my nuckles shifting to reverse...air cleaner was the culprit...sure makes me appreciate the power shift....

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Should be system reliefs built into the valve body, could have trash in that spool's safety just bypassing. Any squealing when power into angle? I know the mess that is radiator gunking up. Bad water, pond water, well water is a bad choice even if clean and clear looking as full of dissolved lime and/or silica all that plates out inside cores. Funny how oil will adhere inside core tubes and not mix with water or flush off easily. Try to find a manual on the hydraulics of your machine as I am just throwing old hand crap out in this fire, best to see what is inside before start tearing stuff up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Think your machine was a handful to run, my poor old Allis had three spool loader control, three levers, two hand clutch levers and power shift control, hands always flying to catch up with next need!

dennis sanders

Thanks d miller....no squealing....can I take that paticular spool out....I saw 2 small nuts on top of the spool.....my Dad was a WW2 VETERN....said they had a C.B. that would raise the blade on a TD14 and crunch pill boxes....bullets flying off the blade... that's why he liked that TD14...THEY called the operator Pappy.....I was 15 yrs old when he let me start playing with it.....been on one ever since.... I like the D4H2 but I've had issues with it overheating since I bought it...I checked evert hinges but the radaitor....I told my son I figured previous owner probably put pond water in it....seen people do it especially when there in the boonies and don't own the machine....had to walk it 1/2 mile to a water source.....I like it but the overheating is a pain ...I had a D6d and it never over heated... thanks for helping me...valve body looks to be quite a chore to take out...it will angle just slow... I can pull back slightly on the t bar and it works fairly well...that seems to be linkage related but spool is traveling what looks to be ok....funny that it's only the angle circut.

dennis sanders

I run a 850G Case quite a bit and work in it hard the temp gauge stays well in the normal range...converter the same....if it does start rising a good blowing out cures it.....it's about made me bald scratching my head.....I have dealt with overheating problems on farm tractors a lot.....especially in the hay field.....a good blowing out always cures it....this tractor is my sole way of putting food on the table so it's eating my lunch....

dennis sanders

Hey guys. ..want to thank everybody for the help....Lil Cat ran 180 to 200 dg tops yesterday pushing muck out of a 10 ft deep pond...hit water.....pushing up a 4:1 grade.....used Cascsde....air and a water hose to backflush.....nasty ......still have the angle problem but I can live with it until I figure it out...