• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

washing material with a trammel

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Trusted Adviser to the Construction World
We've got clay in the material at the pit we're taking over. The current wash screen won't cut it as it's too small,we're going to upgrade to a bigger screen (5x15 that we found locally in good shape) but we're still concerned about product cleanliness. The plants around use material washer/screws at the end before stacking each washed/screened material to get everything washed to spec.

We've thought about pre-washing material before the screen but as we understand it a log washer is very expensive to own and operate. As we were talking about this and a trammel was brought up...that got me to wondering why no one is using trammels to agitate & pre-wash? Seems like it would be easy & low maintenance vs almost any alternative.

There may well be a reason...and I'd love to know...but often times people just keep doing what they're doing instead of thinking outside the box. Is this one of those cases?

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Never used one but I think a trammel would work good because the rocks would be scrubbing each other as they work down thru the trammel. I'd do plenty of research to determine how many TPH you want. Are you wanting to clean the sand or just waste it along w/ the clay. If the clay is in chunks w/ high plasticity not sure how to separate the sand from it w/ a sand screw. I guess a lot would depend on how fine the trammel screen is.
Mike

xr4ticlone

Occupation
Yes, we're looking at it more of a wash machine than a screen...although we've thought about using it to run out 2" plus at the end as well.

The spinning motion as well as a spray bar should do a nice job of pre-washing before it gets it's final wash on the screen.

I think it'll be a lot more cost effective and have better longevity than a log washer.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
You haven't said how you plan to wash the clay out and save the 1/4" minus aggregate or waste it along w/ the clay. Without seeing and handling the pit run you have it's hard to tell you how well a trammel will work for you if you want to save the fines minus the clay. Too many variables to give you a definitive answer.
Mike

xr4ticlone

Occupation
My thought was dump out of the trammel onto the screen that's already set up for washing....with the last 5-10 foot being 2" + screen that dumped out onto the 3 deck.

That way we'd get 2" + out the end of the trammel...6" + already out on the grizzly....then dump 2" - with water from the trammel dumped onto the vibratory screen for wash and sand removal.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
What size screen will the trammel have in it? I understand you'll have 6" down to whatever size screen is in the trammel. Right? Am I to assume with a 3 deck wash screen you're making different size products for concrete aggregate? If you want to save sand I recommend 3/16" screen in the bottom deck and whatever passes it to go to a sand screw to float out the clay. I guess it's hard for me to say what to do without knowing what the end products are to be.
Mike

xr4ticlone

Occupation
2" +
1"-2" washed
5/8" washed
3/8" washed
Sand

Those are current offerings...sand is currently 'washed' by pulling out of a sedimentation 'pit' that catches screen water. He's got a 4x10 3 deck screen (Screen Machine Producer model) and we're upgrading to a 5x14 Diestra set up we found up the road for sale that seems to be well set up and in good condition. We may use hopper and conveyor off Screen machine until that market picks up (small portables are evidently not hot right now?) and then upgrade when we find a buyer.

Currently none of the materials is washed well enough for concrete / asphalt applications...surrounding quarries are using material washers before stacking.

We're acquiring a scalper that they're currently using to get the 2" + out...I'd like to get rid of it and build the trammel so I can pre-wash and remove 2" +.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
So what is all this washed rock to be sold for? Is the 2"plus to be crushed and screened to size? Are you trying to get the washed 2" minus in different sizes clean enough for concrete aggregate?
Mike

xr4ticlone

Occupation
No crushing...sold as fill & rap rock & foundation road rock.

Yep, need it cleaner for concrete and other applications..like paving and septic.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
If, by paving, you mean uncrushed, bank gravel used for asphalt, I've never seen it used as such.If you mean concrete paving, it's excellent for it. Same for foundation road rock as it must have sufficient fine material to make it bind together. Washed, uncrushed rock is used for drain field rock. Understand I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying in 32 yrs of crushing rock that's how I've seen it done.
Mike