• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walking Motor Pressure Check

jesse_anderson8

I have a Caterpillar E110B that is very weak while traveling. The machine has larger pads on it than usual and I assume that will take away some of the strenght as far as turning while sitting still. Although, the motors are weak when climbing even a small grade. It is slow in that sense and if the grade is any steeper you have to reach out with the bucket and assist the machine by pulling. I am working on it for a customer and he wants me to see what I can do about the walking motors although I am not sure what to check. Has anyone in the forum had any success with a machine this age in the travel strength? Thanks all.

DIYDAVE

Assuming its not something simple, like a filter or relief valve, get the pump specs, and do a flow and pressure test. Might still be wore out track motors, though...

Delmer

If you can't do a flow test, then you could park it heading up a hill. Let it sit overnight so everything is cool, start it up and let it stall for 30 seconds, shut it off, and see if you can find the hot spot with a temperature gun. Pump, swivel, motors, right.

jesse_anderson8

20170627_155619.jpg Appreciate all the feedback.

DIYDave, would I check the pressure at the motors? I'll try to attach a picture where I have removed the cover.

Delmer, when you say stall, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean, as if I was trying to dig a stump, but it wouldn't budge stall? Although, try to find a hill the machine simply wont climb in this case?

Lantraxco, swivel before any pressure test? Does the packing wear out so badly that it bleeds by?20170627_155650.jpg

Here is picture of one of my motors.

jesse_anderson8

Haven't gotten to work on the machine lately. Been busy with some other stuff that came into the shop. I'd like to buy a service manual for the machine, but I can't find any cheaper alternatives than eBay. Any suggestions?