• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walking Drag-Line Near Henderson TX

Donns

Occupation
Self employed Dragline consultant and Safety train
Ace of Spades Fans

Just a qick update to let all the old Ace of Spades fans know what is happening to her. The Tub had an 18 inch skirt added to make it larger. The upper frame is assembled on supports on the Tub, except the 2 propel sections and the 2 outside rear sections - these will go on when she is down on the rollers. The tub and upper rail pads were removed and replaced with 4" thick plates - almost welded out now. Should start machining between frames in about 2 weeks. She's getting all new AC drive motors and a starwars control system. Shoes will be 10 feet longer (softer ground here than at Stobbswood). Mast is completed and Boom is well on the way. All 14 Gearcases refurbished and here and all new drum gears. She's going to be a sweetie. Sorry I can't do pictures because of my contract to the overall project.

Mighty Samson

Mighty Samson
Glad to know someone who had so much experience on the old Orange Beast. I was with Marion when those 2 were erected alongside the two 2570s. I visited the job a few times but was not the erector. I was working on an 8050 down at Waubaman (sorry if I spelled that wrong) for Alberta Power part of the time the 8750s were going up there. The Bechtel Superintendent over those Draglines was a friend of mine and had a heart attack on that job. He later came out to new Brunswick and worked for the small contractor who put up the 8200 for NB Coal. I was the erector on that machine from start to finish.
When I retired, Syncrude sold to Marions and one 2570BE to The boys in Australia. They came and cut those machines to pieces and brought them back home and totally rebuilt them. They put a 120cu.yd bucket on the Marions . I wish I knew how to upload the pictures for you. Take care

alco

Mighty Samson,

I'd be more than happy to help you with posting the pictures. I actually work for Syncrude now, with a bunch of the guys you would have worked with on the draglines. I'll send you a private message.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige, I am indeed that old guy. Are you the same NS that left Taylor Woodrow and went to Ransomes?
(I'm sorry I missed your post so long ago, must have been out traveling somewhere that computers have not been invented yet)
Yes indeedy. Left Ransomes for Africa and went with the Big Yellow Machine from there on in. Switched from factory/dealer to being a customer 4 years ago when I came here to the Caribbean. I am now slowly working my way to retirement (21 months & counting !!) and the point where I can put my feet up and let my 3 sons keep me in the style to which I've become accustomed. Not sure how that idea will pan out though when the sort of comment that comes from them is "Hey baldy, less of the lip. Remember we get to pick your retirement home".........

Are you still based in Gatorville..?

Donns

Occupation
Self employed Dragline consultant and Safety train
Hi Nige
You can see I seldom check the postings here. I am still in Gatorland, just a different town from before. Hope you are still getting on well. I just completed a contract in Mississippi, part of the contract was the oversight of the reassembly of the old Page/P&H 757 from England - The ACE OF SPADES. She is now called the Liberty Belle and walked off the pad last Monday -28th October 13. Are you on LinkedIn?

Extractorfan

Occupation
operator earthmoving machines
AustinPSD, I agree, most of the things we consume & use, electronics etc rely on mined minerals, I remember on a trip to Canada passing a large steel mill on the shore of Lake Erie, and some of the people on the bus tour saying what a mess it looked, I replied yes but you still want to buy your cars & white goods that's where the steel is made not on another planet! They said yes I suppose you'r right. It's like electric cars, they still need batteries charging where do they think the electricity comes from?
Ex tractor fan.

blitz138

Aye Nige, I said that to a greeny the other day and they tried to argue then ended the conversation with "there should be another way" :rolleyes: Ill be coming down to PV next week btw.

Killbox Alpha

This machine was on the move last week. It was being moved by Mammoet on one of their trailers. The shoes had been removed as well as the bucket. I've only got the two pics at the moment but I hope to have more shortly. If so I'll post them as well.

9B2B8A34-AAEE-425B-A12B-EECD6FF41BEC_zpsykmj5nso.jpg59104365-1F45-4333-8174-6DCA7B26F573_zps960kvdbm.jpg

Last edited: