1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by stepp3360, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Showpony

Showpony Well-Known Member

both 333fts working together

ScottAR, Labparamour, DoyleX and 3 others like this.
  2. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Great video. It's an odd coincidence that 4 hours before you posted, I was driving by an old customer's yard and saw his 333FT sitting in the corner waiting for "THE JOB". He's discovered 627 Cats cost much less to run. He actually has two 333FT's, but one is down with major front engine issues and may have been cannibalized a bit to keep the other running. Oh, this Gent also has a Euclid TC-12 dozer in semi-operable condition, but she's more for yard art now.
    Marlow, if you happen to stop in... It's number 12, and 14. Long history there. :D

3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Nothing like double ended screaming Detroits.

4. stangoodman

stangoodman Active Member

Fantastic to see 2 x 333ft scrapers working together. They are hard to beat and are still efficient too run even tho 45 years have gone by since they were made.
    Our 252ft is doing load for load with our brand new 37 for the same fuel!
    Isn't it a pity Wabco stopped making them. I imagine they would have developed full axel suspension, auto load and dump and be well on the way to automate the scraper or following scrapers.

D6 Merv and Gord229 like this.
  5. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Geez Stan, that is a sad indictment of 45 years of Caterpillar manufacturing.

6. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Now that Komatsu owns Le Tourneau maybe they could start building scrapers again

7. Gord229

Gord229 Well-Known Member

Owner/operator
    Well said Tones now that Komatsu own the patents to the best loading (Wabco) bowls ever made. Hopefully they wouldn't make the same mistakes they made with the WS-16 & 23's with the ghastly air of hydraulic control system and the problematic suspension axle system.

8. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    Yeah Gord, they have a wonderful base to start from. All komatsu has to do is to talk to the owner of the machines that are still running, find out what the bugs are and start building. My one requirement is to leave the sheet metal the same. :) cos it looks proper

Gord229 and RZucker like this.
  9. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Unfortunately we won't get 2-stroke Detroits if they make new ones.

10. Gord229

Gord229 Well-Known Member

Owner/operator
    Couldn't agree more with the above comments. Styling would definitely need to remain classic Wabco and the challenge for Detroit Diesel would be to make Tier 4 compliant 2 strokes. It would be good to put some competition for Caterpillar back into the market.

Buckethead likes this.
  11. Showpony

Showpony Well-Known Member

I think Letourneau was on the right track with his electric wheel, multi bowl, modular design machines. Imagine L60 and L90s with modern engines, cab and hydraulics. They would make new push pull set ups look ridiculous. Big elevators like the 333ft need special people. Open bowls are much better suited to big dummed down fleets. Things are overdue for competition for Cat in the scraper field, with tractors and ADT drawn scoops in the market proves Cat is not meeting it. I thought the Terex TRS15 was a good effort at addressing some of the problems with traditional scrapers.

Attached Files:

RZucker and Gord229 like this.
  12. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    This post opens so many possibilities... I for one after spending many hours on scrapers, completely despise anything Cat built. I would rather be on an old TS-24 with the V-12 up front than a newer 637. The green beast will self load to 75-80 percent without being humped by 2 dozers.
    Having run 333FT Wabcos I agree you cant just put the kid next door on them. Damn productive machines with the right guy though.
    Now... on to the LeT stuff. I think the L-60-90 machines would be great machines with updated soft start electrical technology and new style vacuum break contactors.
    The lack of Hydraulics could be a big plus in certain areas around water etc.